Tigers tally 12 hits, top TwinsMay 26, 2012 - 11:18 PM
Prince Fielder went 4-for-4 with an RBI while Miguel Cabrera drove in two and scored once for the Tigers, who have taken the first two games of this set after getting swept by Cleveland.
Max Scherzer (4-3) gave up three runs on six hits with nine strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings to grab the win.
"It was an interesting game because things got a little hairy," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland. "The rain delay, that was a tough one because Scherzer was throwing pretty good. But the bullpen did a good job of picking things up from there."
Denard Span and Justin Morneau each hit a solo home run for the Twins, who have dropped four straight. Carl Pavano (2-4) was touched for all six runs on 10 hits in just 4 1/3 innings to suffer the loss.
"We were missing a lot of pitches out there today," said Minnesota designated hitter Joe Mauer about the team striking out 16 times. "The rain delays didn't help us much there."
Detroit scored two runs in the first as Dirks doubled, Cabrera followed with an RBI double and then came home on a single from Fielder.
Minnesota got one back in the bottom of the inning on a run-scoring double play off the bat of Mauer and tied the game in the second when Morneau led off the frame with his ninth homer of the year.
The Tigers, though, plated four runs in the fifth. Alex Avila and Ramon Santiago hit consecutive one-out singles and Quintin Berry followed with a basehit to score Avila. Dirks then doubled home both baserunners and Cabrera followed with an RBI single for a 6-2 lead.
Fielder then singled to again put runners on the corners, but Brian Duensing came on the mound and got Delmon Young to swing at the first pitch, which resulted in a 6-4-3 double play to escape the jam.
Span hit his first home run of the season in the sixth to get the Twins within three and back-to-back singles from Ben Revere and Mauer put the tying run at the plate.
The game then went into a rain delay, but after play started back up, Octavio Dotel struck out Josh Willingham and got Morneau to foul out and end the frame.
Dotel then struck out the side in the seventh while Joaquin Benoit tossed a scoreless eighth.
Jose Valverde worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his eighth save of the season and 250th of his career.
There was a rain delay of about 20 minutes to start the game then another of roughly 40 minutes in the sixth...Span's last home run came on May 23rd of last year...Scherzer is 2-1 in seven starts against the Twins...Pavano fell to 5-5 in 13 starts against the Tigers...Detroit will go for the sweep on Sunday with Rick Porcello on the mound while P.J. Walters will pitch for Minnesota.
- DETROIT: 6
May 26 5:53 PM
- Denard Span one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Ben Revere due up.
Tigers 6, Twins 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 26 4:07 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to right scored Andy Dirks with one out. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 6, Twins 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 26 3:42 PM
- Andy Dirks double to left center scored Ramon Santiago and Quintin Berry with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 5, Twins 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 26 3:40 PM
- Quintin Berry single to right scored Alex Avila with one out. On the play, Ramon Santiago advances to third. Runners on first and third with Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 26 3:37 PM
- Justin Morneau lead-off Home Run (9) to right center. Brian Dozier due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 26 2:57 PM
- Joe Mauer grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Denard Span with two out. On the play, Ben Revere out at second. None on and Josh Willingham due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 26 2:46 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. Runner on first and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 26 2:37 PM
- Miguel Cabrera double to left center scored Andy Dirks with one out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 26 2:36 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 2:32 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22