Jackson makes history in Tigers' winAug 11, 2012 - 6:26 AM
Jackson's first career inside-the-park homer was the first by a Tigers player since Curtis Granderson did so on August 26, 2007 against the Yankees. In addition, Jackson became the first Tigers player to collect a triple and inside-the-park home run in same game since Steve Kemp on September 4, 1977 against Oakland.
Prince Fielder added a three-run homer for the Tigers, who were coming off a 5-2 homestand. Delmon Young and Miguel Cabrera had an RBI apiece.
"We just played good baseball," Fielder said.
Max Scherzer (11-6) gave up two runs on eight hits over six innings to pick up the win. He struck out eight and walked two while improving to 4-0 in seven career starts against Texas.
Josh Hamilton hit a solo homer for the Rangers, who were coming off a 4-2 road trip. Elvis Andrus added an RBI single.
Scott Feldman (6-7) allowed four runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings to suffer his first loss since June 14. He had won four straight starts and six straight decisions coming into Friday's game.
The Rangers jumped out to a 1-0 lead on Hamilton's homer to center in the first inning.
Texas added another run in the third after Ian Kinsler doubled and raced home on Andrus' single to left.
The Tigers finally got on the board in the fourth. Jackson led off with a triple to right and scored on Cabrera's single to center.
Detroit tacked on four more runs in the sixth to take the lead. With two outs, Andy Dirks and Cabrera singled. Fielder followed with a three-run homer to right. Robbie Ross came in from the bullpen and walked Brennan Boesch. Young knocked in Boesch with a double to right, making it a 5-2 game.
"He just made one bad pitch. That was the pitch he left up to Fielder," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Feldman.
Jackson's inside-the-park homer in the seventh extended the Tigers' margin to four. Jackson's hit to right went all the way to the corner after getting past a diving Nelson Cruz.
Octavio Dotel tossed two scoreless innings of relief and Jose Valverde worked around a one-out single in the ninth to seal the victory.
Texas leads the season series by a 5-3 margin...Jackson's home run was the sixth inside-the-parker in the history of Rangers Ballpark at Arlington...Cruz hurt his back while diving for Jackson's inside-the-park homer. He left the game in the eighth with lower back stiffness...Feldman is winless (0-3) in 11 career games (five starts) in the regular season against the Tigers...Detroit started a six-game road trip on Friday...The Tigers are one game behind the White Sox for the American League Central lead...The Rangers reinstated reliever Mark Lowe from the 15-day disabled list and designated infielder Alberto Gonzalez for assignment on Friday. Lowe recorded the first two outs in the eighth.
- DETROIT: 6
Aug 10 11:25 PM
- Miguel Cabrera reached second on Nelson Cruz's fielding error. Runner on second with two out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 6, Rangers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 10 10:29 PM
- Delmon Young double to right scored Brennan Boesch. Runner on second with two out and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 10:07 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, three-run Home Run (20) to right scored Andy Dirks and Miguel Cabrera. Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 4, Rangers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 10:01 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to center scored Austin Jackson. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 1, Rangers 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 10 9:15 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to left scored Ian Kinsler and was thrown out at second. None on with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 10 9:01 PM
- Josh Hamilton two-out, solo Home Run (31) to center. Adrian Beltre due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 10 8:20 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22