Infante pushes Marlins past Astros in extrasMay 10, 2012 - 6:20 AM
Brian Bogusevic sent the game into extra innings with a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the ninth, but Logan Morrison singled to begin the 12th and walks to Giancarlo Stanton and John Buck loaded the bases with two outs. Infante then lined a base hit to center field off of David Carpenter (0-2) to push across the winning run.
Ryan Webb (2-1) tossed 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the win and Josh Johnson allowed two runs on four hits while striking out six over a seven-inning start.
Jose Reyes and Buck both had an RBI for Miami, which took two of three from the Astros in this series and recorded a franchise-record eight wins on its nine-game trek.
"I will take every road trip like this with the way we played," said Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen. "The team played good baseball all trip."
Chris Johnson hit a solo home run for Houston and Lucas Harrell was charged with three runs -- two earned -- over 5 1/3 innings in the start.
Despite the loss, the Astros recorded their first 6-3 homestand since 2010.
Both teams benefited from a first-inning error.
Reyes began the game with a walk and advanced to second on Donnie Murphy's groundout. He scored when Hanley Ramirez hit a low line drive to the left side, which was misplayed by shortstop Jed Lowrie before rolling into the outfield. The Marlins loaded the bases with two down later in the inning but Emilio Bonifacio flew out to end the threat.
Jordan Schafer led off the bottom half with a double before Johnson unleashed a wild pitch. Buck recovered the ball as Schafer headed for third, but the catcher's throw sailed into left field, allowing the Astros to tie the game.
They briefly went ahead an inning later on Chris Johnson's homer, but Miami reclaimed the lead in the fourth.
Base hits by Stanton and Bonifacio had runners at first and second with one down before Buck slapped a single to right, which plated Stanton. Reyes then brought home Bonifacio with a two-out base hit to left for a 3-2 advantage.
Carlos Lee tripled with one down in the ninth and was replaced by pinch-runner Marwin Gonzalez, who tied the game when Bogusevic slapped a two-out single to left field off of Steve Cishek.
"We just play hard and fight and we'll try to keep doing it as long as possible," said Bogusevic.
The last time Houston went 6-3 on a homestand was July 23-August 1, 2010...Josh Johnson is still in search of his first win of the season.
- MIAMI: 5
May 10 12:16 AM
- Omar Infante singled to center scored Logan Morrison and Greg Dobbs. On the play, John Buck advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 5, Astros 3 Top 12, 2 OutsMay 10 12:06 AM
- Brian Bogusevic singled to left scored Marwin Gonzalez. On the play, Chris Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Snyder due up.
Marlins 3, Astros 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 9 10:56 PM
- Donnie Murphy grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Astros 2 Mid 4May 9 9:13 PM
- John Buck singled to right scored Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Josh Johnson due up.
Marlins 2, Astros 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 9 9:07 PM
- Chris Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 9 8:38 PM
- Jordan Schafer scores on a John Buck throwing error. None on with none out and Jose Altuve at the plate.
Marlins 1, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 9 8:27 PM
- Hanley Ramirez reached first on Jed Lowrie's fielding error scored Jose Reyes. Runner on first with one out and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 9 8:12 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21