Bumgarner, Giants top AstrosJun 13, 2012 - 6:02 AM
Bumgarner (8-4) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and no walks while striking out a season-high 12 hitters to collect the win. Clay Hensley allowed a run with two outs in the ninth, but Santiago Casilla got the final out to nail down his 17th save of the season.
Brandon Belt ripped a two-run home run and Melky Cabrera added an RBI base hit for the Giants, who lost two of three to the Texas Rangers over the weekend. Brandon Crawford contributed a two-run single in the victory.
Brian Bixler drove in two runs and Jason Castro added an RBI double for the Astros, who had taken two of three from the Chicago Cubs in their previous series.
Bud Norris (5-4) allowed three runs on three hits and three walks in 3 1/3 innings before leaving in the fourth due to a knee injury. He also had five strikeouts in defeat.
The Astros opened the scoring with a run in the third inning. Jose Altuve reached second on a throwing error by Crawford, stole third and scored on a base hit to left by Bixler, but the Giants got the run right back in the home half when Bumgarner led off the inning by crushing a fastball from Norris over the wall in left to tie the game at one.
Buster Posey drew a leadoff walk in the San Francisco fourth. After Pablo Sandoval fouled out, Nate Schierholtz and Belt coaxed back-to-back walks from Norris to load the bases. Crawford then slapped a base hit up the middle that brought home two runs to give the Giants the 3-1 lead.
San Francisco extended its lead to three in the seventh. Facing Astros reliever Brandon Lyon, Gregor Blanco drew a leadoff walk, stole second, and advanced to third when the throw from Castro wound up in center field. After Ryan Theriot struck out, Cabrera picked up his teammate with a bloop single into left to bring home Blanco.
Bixler doubled home Brian Bogusevic in the eighth to pull the Astros within two, but Belt extended the Giants' lead to four in the home half of the inning with a long homer to right off Wesley Wright which landed in McCovey Cove.
Castro doubled home Jordan Schafer with two outs in the ninth to cut the deficit to three, but Casilla got pinch-hitter Brett Wallace to fly out to end the game.
Prior to Tuesday's game, the Giants signed 2012 first-round draft pick Chris Stratton...Belt's last home run came on September 27, 2011...San Francisco went 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and has posted a 24-12 record this season when recording 2-or-more hits with runners in scoring position in a game...The Giants committed one error on Tuesday and are now tied with the Baltimore Orioles for the most errors in the majors (57)...Houston went 2- for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- HOUSTON: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Jun 13 1:28 AM
- Jason Castro double to right scored Jordan Schafer with two out. Runner on second and Wesley Wright due up.
Astros 3, Giants 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 13 1:25 AM
- Brandon Belt none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Nate Schierholtz. Brandon Crawford due up.
Astros 2, Giants 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 13 1:06 AM
- Brian Bixler double to center scored Brian Bogusevic with one out. Runner on second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Astros 2, Giants 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 13 12:55 AM
- Melky Cabrera single to left scored Gregor Blanco with one out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Astros 1, Giants 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 13 12:37 AM
- Brandon Crawford single to center scored Buster Posey and Nate Schierholtz with one out. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Astros 1, Giants 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 12 11:30 PM
- Madison Bumgarner lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Gregor Blanco due up.
Astros 1, Giants 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 12 11:02 PM
- Brian Bixler single to left scored Jose Altuve with two out. Runner on first and Jed Lowrie due up.
Astros 1, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 12 10:55 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 12 10:17 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21