Grimm earns first ML win as Rangers top AstrosJun 17, 2012 - 5:32 AM
Justin Grimm (1-0) picked up the win in his Major League debut, allowing three runs in six innings on six hits. He struck out seven Astros and did not issue a walk.
"The first inning was by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my career," said Grimm. "Throwing in front of 50,000 is nerve wracking, but after that I thought I settled down pretty good."
Adrian Beltre picked up two hits and knocked in a pair of runs as Texas has now taken the first two games of its three-game series against Houston.
Lucas Harrell (6-5) kept Texas off the board for the first five frames, but could not make it through six, going 5 1/3 innings and allowing five runs on seven hits to absorb the loss.
"I felt like I was throwing the ball pretty well out there," said Harrell. "It seemed like if a few pitches just went a little different this would have been a different game."
Jordan Schafer picked up three hits and drove in a run for Houston, which has lost four of its last five games.
Jed Lowrie gave Houston a first-inning lead with a solo home run, his 13th of the year.
The Astros scored a pair of runs in the fifth to take a three-run lead. Brian Bogusevic delivered a leadoff double and scored on Justin Maxwell's double. With two outs, Schafer singled to scored Maxwell.
Craig Gentry and Ian Kinsler singled to start off the sixth for the Rangers. Two batters later, Harrell was unable to record an out on a grounder off the bat of Michael Young. Beltre then knocked in a pair with a base hit and Cruz followed with his three-run blast.
The Rangers added a pair in the seventh after a leadoff single by Gentry. After stealing second base and heading to third on Chris Snyder's throwing error, he scored when Kinsler singled. Kinsler then stole second and came around to score on Young's sac fly two batters later.
David Murphy and Mitch Moreland each doubled in the eighth to extend the lead to 8-3.
Robbie Ross, Mike Adams and Mark Lowe kept the Astros off the board in the final three innings to close out the Rangers' 8-3 win.
Texas wins the Silver Boot for the sixth straight season by clinching a victory over Houston in their season series...Texas is 31-16 against the Astros since 2005...The two teams wore uniforms from the 1986 season...Harrell leads Major League rookies with 81 2/3 innings pitched...Houston has hit 12 home runs in its last eight games...Texas went 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
- HOUSTON: 3
Jun 16 10:17 PM
- Mitch Moreland double to right scored David Murphy with two out. Runner on second and Craig Gentry due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 16 10:01 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Ian Kinsler with two out. None on and Adrian Beltre due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 9:32 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored Craig Gentry with none out. Runner on first and Elvis Andrus due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 16 9:24 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left center scored Michael Young and Adrian Beltre. David Murphy due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 16 8:55 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Craig Gentry and Ian Kinsler with one out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 16 8:54 PM
- Jordan Schafer single to left scored Justin Maxwell with two out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 16 8:27 PM
- Justin Maxwell double to right scored Brian Bogusevic with one out. Runner on second and Chris Snyder due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 16 8:25 PM
- Jed Lowrie two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right center. Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 16 7:22 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 7:16 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21