Astros' Harrell briskly shuts out PadresJun 28, 2012 - 6:25 AM
Harrell (7-6) scattered six hits and four walks with seven strikeouts, while Matt Downs supplied the offense with a home run for Houston, which won for the fourth time in five games.
"What a great job working around those six hits," Astros manager Brad Mills said about Harrell. "To see a guy throw like that and do such a great job, that's nice to see."
Clayton Richard (5-8) allowed just two hits and a run over seven strong innings to take the loss and snap a three-start win streak.
Yonder Alonso and Logan Forsythe each collected a pair of hits for the Padres, who dropped their second straight game.
Harrell entered for the ninth and quickly placed the tying run on second base with one out when Carlos Quentin reached on a fielder's choice and pinch- runner Alexi Amarista moved to second on Alonso's walk.
Forsythe then pulled a base hit through the left side of the infield. Amarista attempted to score on the play, but J.D. Martinez's throw to the plate easily beat Amarista and catcher Chris Snyder applied the tag on Amarista's left arm for the second out of the inning.
After pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay worked a walk to fill the bags, Harrell got Nick Hundley to fan on a high fastball to end the contest in a brisk one hour and 58 minutes, which is the quickest game in the majors this year.
Downs recorded the game's lone run with a leadoff blast over the left-center field wall in the third inning.
Richard would retire the next 15 batters he faced following Downs' fifth home run of the year before being pulled in favor of Dale Thayer to start the eighth inning.
But San Diego would not be able to capitalize on his performance, stranding a man on second in both the fourth and fifth innings to keep it a 1-0 game.
Harrell improved to 5-1 in seven home starts this season...Richard fell to 0-1 in two career meetings with the Astros...The Padres' Chris Denorfia went 0- for-1 in a pinch-hit appearance to end his career-best 12-game hit streak...Harrell threw 69 of his 109 pitches for strikes.
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Jun 27 10:04 PM
- Matt Downs lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Jordan Schafer due up.
Padres 0, Astros 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 27 8:37 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21