Hamilton homers twice as Rangers down AngelsMay 12, 2012 - 7:08 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Josh Hamilton belted two home runs and Mitch Moreland homered and knocked in three runs as the Rangers hammered the Angels, 10-3, in the opener of a three-game series.
"He's unbelievable right now. He's as locked in as I've ever seen anybody," Moreland said about Hamilton.
Yu Darvish (5-1) allowed three runs on three hits and three walks while fanning seven through 5 1/3 innings for Texas, which won for the fifth time in seven games.
Nelson Cruz added two RBI and Craig Gentry also knocked in a pair in the victory.
C.J. Wilson (4-3) suffered the loss against his former team, giving up four runs on three hits and a walk in just one-third of an inning as he did not return to the mound after the game went into an hour and 56 minute rain delay in the first inning.
It was the first time Wilson faced Texas after signing with the Angels as a free agent in the offseason.
Mike Trout hit a two-run shot and Torii Hunter added a solo home run for the Angels, who lost for the second time in three games.
After Elvis Andrus and Hamilton hit a pair of infield singles with one out in the bottom of the first inning, Adrian Beltre hit a grounder back up the middle that Angels second baseman Howie Kendrick had deflect off his glove as he made a sliding attempt at the ball.
Kendrick quickly recovered, but his hurried throw to first was high and sailed over the head of Albert Pujols, scoring Andrus and placing runners on the corners.
Michael Young then worked a walk to load the bases, but play was suspended by rain as soon as Young reached the bag.
Jerome Williams took the mound for the Angels when the game resumed and Cruz pulled the first pitch he saw through the left side of the infield to bring home Hamilton and Beltre.
Mike Napoli followed with a high bouncer to third that Maicer Izturis fielded, but Kendrick could not corral the low throw, loading the bases. A Moreland fielder's choice to short plated Young before Gentry's two-run triple into the left-field corner gave Texas a 6-0 lead.
"We gave them five outs in that inning so a good team is going to be able to take advantage of it," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about the first inning. "Those guys did a good job with guys in scoring position tonight and set the tone in that first inning for sure."
Hamilton's solo blast over the right-field wall in the second inning added to the Rangers' advantage.
Trout then followed a Bobby Wilson walk in the third inning by hammering a ball into the left-field bleachers to put the Angels on the board, but Moreland's sacrifice fly in the home half of the inning and Hamilton's second home run of the night in the fourth made the score 9-2.
Hunter's one-out homer to straightaway center field in the sixth brought the Angels back within six before Moreland answered in the seventh with a no- doubter to right.
Andrus extended his hit streak to 11 games and he has now reached base in 29 straight contests...Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba started the game behind the plate but did not return after the rain delay after taking a bat to the head by Pujols during the first inning...Texas improved to 9-5 at home this season...Wilson went 43-35 with a 3.60 ERA in 325 games -- 73 starts -- over seven seasons with the Rangers.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 12 1:06 AM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Craig Gentry due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 10 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 12 12:33 AM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 9 Top 6, 1 OutMay 12 12:06 AM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run 2 (17) to right. Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 9 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 11 11:30 PM
- Mitch Moreland sacrifice fly to left scored Mike Napoli with two out. None on and Craig Gentry due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 11 11:13 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Bobby Wilson. Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 7 Top 3, 1 OutMay 11 11:00 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 7 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 11 10:50 PM
- Craig Gentry triple to left scored Nelson Cruz and Mitch Moreland with two out. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 6 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 11 10:38 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mitch Moreland grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Michael Young with two out. On the play, Mike Napoli out at second and Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runners on first and third with Craig Gentry due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 11 10:37 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to left scored Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre with one out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mike Napoli due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 11 10:34 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to second scored Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third on Howie Kendrick's throwing error. Runners on first and third with Michael Young due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 11 8:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22