Ross, A's shut out AngelsMay 15, 2012 - 5:43 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Seth Smith drove in two runs and scored once as the Oakland Athletics posted a 5-0 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the opener of a two-game set.
Tyson Ross (2-3) started on the hill and gave up just five hits and a walk with two strikeouts over six innings for the Athletics, who have won three of four. Josh Reddick hit a solo home run in the win.
"After a rough first inning I stayed with my game plan," said Ross. "I tried not to get the pitch count up too high. I mixed it up with split-changeups and breaking balls. I like the mound here and I feel like I'm on top of the hitter."
Dan Haren (1-4) was touched for four runs on six hits with four walks and four strikeouts in six innings for the Angels, who have dropped three of four. Maicer Izturis had three of the eight hits for the Angels in the loss.
"This team is too good to be shutout as many times as we have," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "We had better at-bats tonight that are not going to show up in the box score."
Reddick homered with no one on and two outs in the first to give the A's a 1-0 lead.
The fourth inning saw Oakland work another run across. With one out, Smith doubled and moved to third on a wild pitch. Josh Donaldson then lofted a sacrifice fly to right for a 2-0 lead.
Oakland continued to add to its lead in the fifth inning. Jemile Weeks was hit by a pitch to start the inning and Cliff Pennington singled. Reddick was then issued a free pass to load the bases and Jonny Gomes hit a grounder to third that saw the force out at home. Smith, though, doubled to right to plate two for a 4-0 advantage.
A Kurt Suzuki RBI single in the eighth staked the Athletics to a 5-0 lead.
The Angels, meanwhile, never really threatened until the fifth inning. With one out, Alberto Callaspo singled and Vernon Wells followed with a single. After a fielder's choice from Erick Aybar saw Wells out at second, Aybar stole second. Bobby Wilson, though, fouled out to end the frame.
The Angels got a pair of two-out singles from Izturis and Albert Pujols in the eighth, but Kendrys Morales grounded out to end the frame.
Oakland has taken four of five from the Angels this season, shutting the team out twice...The Angels have been blanked eight times this season...The Angels batted 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight...Oakland went 2-for-9 with RISP and left nine...The Angels placed right fielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list Monday night as reports surfaced that his son was arrested earlier in the day in connection with a sexual assault case in Texas.
- OAKLAND: 5
LOS ANGELES: 0
May 15 1:06 AM
- Kurt Suzuki singled to right scoring Josh Donaldson with one out. Runner on first and Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 5, Angels 0 Top 8, 1 OutMay 15 12:32 AM
- Seth Smith doubled to right scoring Cliff Pennington and Josh Reddick with one out. On the play, Jonny Gomes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 14 11:34 PM
- Josh Donaldson sacrifice fly to right scored Seth Smith with two out. None on and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 2, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 14 11:09 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Jonny Gomes due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 14 10:12 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22