Angels outslug Blue JaysJul 2, 2012 - 5:22 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Torii Hunter's sacrifice fly in the ninth inning was the winner as LA Angels of Anaheim downed the Toronto Blue Jays, 10-6, in the finale of a four-game series.
Mike Trout hit a solo home run and scored three runs. Mark Trumbo and Alberto Callaspo each added a two-run home run while Albert Pujols went 2-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Angels, who split the series and have won five of seven.
C.J. Wilson pitched five-plus innings in the start and gave up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits with five walks. Jason Isringhausen (3-0) got the win despite giving up the tying run in the seventh.
Colby Rasmus hit a three-run home run while J.P. Arencibia hit a solo home run for the Blue Jays, who have dropped four of their last six.
Aaron Laffey gave up three runs -- two earned -- on four hits and four strikeouts over six innings. Francisco Cordero (3-5) was tagged for three runs while recording just one out in the eighth for the loss.
"We climbed back into it, but then, as we've seen, things got away from us a little bit late there," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell.
The game was tied, 3-3, in the eighth inning, but the Angels went ahead in the frame on a leadoff homer from Trout, followed three batters later by Trumbo's two-run shot for a 6-3 advantage.
In the ninth, the Angels added to their advantage. With the bases loaded, Hunter's sac fly chased home one and Pujols drove in another with a single. Peter Bourjos later hit an RBI single and Kendrys Morales' run-scoring groundout made it a 10-3 game.
Rasmus hit his three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth off of Jordan Walden, but the Jays were unable to get any closer.
Pujols' fly out in the first plated Trout thanks to an error from Rajai Davis. Trout had doubled and moved to third on a Hunter groundout prior to making it a 1-0 game.
Callaspo's two-run homer in the fifth made it 3-0, but the Blue Jays rallied to tie the contest.
In the sixth, an error from Howie Kendrick on a Jose Bautista grounder scored Omar Vizquel and Brett Lawrie. On that play, the ball wound up in the outfield and was thrown back to second. Rasmus was caught between second and third and Lawrie took off for home. He knocked down John Hester, who hung on to the ball, at the plate then came back to touch the plate for the second run despite already being ruled safe.
"The throw took Hester across home plate as (Lawrie) was looking to score," said Farrell. "There was a little bit of a collision and a bang-bang play. (Lawrie) is looking to jar the ball loose and at the same time he stepped on home plate at the moment of the collision and was safe."
Angels manager Mike Scioscia came out to argue the call and was promptly thrown out by home plate umpire James Hoye.
Arencibia's solo shot in the seventh, his 11th of the year, tied the game in the seventh.
Bautista was selected as a starter in the All-Star game for Toronto while pitchers Jered Weaver and Wilson and Trout and Trumbo were all named to the All-Star squad for the Angels...Each team won four games in the season series...Toronto stays home to face KC for four games starting on Monday...The Angles play three games in Cleveland starting on Monday.
- LOS ANGELES: 10
Jul 1 6:38 PM
- Kendrys Morales grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Albert Pujols Peter Bourjos out at second with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 10, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 1 6:24 PM
- Peter Bourjos single to left scored Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 9, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 1 6:21 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to left scored John Hester with one out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second. Runners on first and second and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 8, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 1 6:18 PM
- Torii Hunter sacrifice fly out to center scored Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, John Hester advances to third. Runners on first and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 7, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 1 6:18 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Albert Pujols. Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 6, Blue Jays 3 Top 8, 1 OutJul 1 5:46 PM
- Mike Trout lead-off Home Run (9) to center. Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 1 5:42 PM
- J.P. Arencibia one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Omar Vizquel due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 1 5:35 PM
- Jose Bautista reached first on Howie Kendrick's fielding error scored Omar Vizquel and Brett Lawrie with none out. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to third. Runners on second and third and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 1 5:05 PM
- Alberto Callaspo none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Howie Kendrick. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 1 4:27 PM
- Brett Lawrie grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 0 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 1 3:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 3:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22