Mighty Morales: 2 HRs in 1 inning helps Angels clobber RangersJul 31, 2012 - 5:35 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales hit two home runs from opposite sides of the plate in the same inning, including a grand slam, and had six RBI in a nine-run sixth to lead the Los Angeles Angels past the Texas Rangers, 15-8, in the opener of a four-game series.
Morales became just the third player all-time to homer from both sides of the plate in the same inning, joining Carlos Baerga (1993) and Mark Bellhorn (2002).
"His last 100 at-bats he hasn't been driving the ball and hasn't been swinging like he can, so it's definitely good to see. Tonight we needed it," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about Morales.
Mike Trout added a two-run home run, four RBI and three runs scored, while Maicer Izturis also went deep and scored three times for the Angels, who snapped a two-game slide and inched within four games of the AL West-leading Rangers.
Ervin Santana (5-10) allowed three runs on four hits and a walk over five innings to receive his first win in his last six starts.
Jerome Williams tossed the final four innings of the game for LA to earn his first career save.
Roy Oswalt (3-2) surrendered eight runs on 11 hits through 5 1/3 innings for Texas, which has dropped seven of its last 11.
Nelson Cruz, Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli homered in defeat.
With the game knotted at 3-3 entering the sixth inning, Morales, batting left- handed, broke the tie when he followed an Albert Pujols double with a line drive into the right-field bleachers.
Three straight base hits by Howie Kendrick, Izturis and Peter Bourjos would later load the bases with one out and knock Oswalt out of the game. Robbie Ross came on next and surrendered an RBI single by Bobby Wilson and a two-run base hit by Trout on the first two pitches he threw.
After Torii Hunter struck out and Pujols was intentionally walked to load the bases again, Morales ripped his second homer of the inning, a grand slam from the right side of the plate just out of the reach of Cruz in right-center field, to give the Angels a 12-3 lead.
Morales became the first American League player since Minnesota's Michael Cuddyer on August, 23, 2009, to hit two home runs in the same inning.
"Up until the sixth inning it was a very competitive game," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "It all started with the hanging breaking ball to Morales and then we couldn't stop it from there."
The Rangers got a run back in the home sixth with a Michael Young sacrifice fly, but they would eventually leave the bases loaded in the frame.
Hunter worked a bases-loaded walk in the seventh before Pujols drove in a pair of runs with a base hit up the middle to give LA a 15-4 advantage.
Cruz's two-run blast to straightaway center field in the bottom of the seventh, Napoli's solo shot in the eighth and Cruz's run-scoring double in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The Angels opened the scoring in the second inning with Izturis' two-out solo home run over the right-field wall, snapping a streak of 24 consecutive scoreless innings for the club.
But Texas answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame when Cruz led off with a walk, moved to third on Hamilton's double into the left-field corner and came home on a Young sacrifice fly to right.
David Murphy then sent a liner to left field that Trout lost in the sun for an RBI double to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead. The hit also put an end to the Rangers' own dubious streak as they had not gotten a hit with runners in scoring position in their last 29 chances.
The Angels quickly regained the lead in the third inning on Trout's two-run blast into the right-field seats, but Hamilton knotted the game at 3-3 in the fourth with a solo shot just over the wall in left field.
Morales is the first Angel to hit two homers in the same frame since Rick Reichardt, on April 30, 1966, at Boston's Fenway Park...San Francisco's Pablo Sandoval on September 18, 2011, was the last player to hit a pair of home runs in the same inning...Santana improved to 13-10 in 26 career starts against the Angels...The Angels lead the season series between the teams, 6-4.
- LOS ANGELES: 15
Jul 30 10:17 PM
- Nelson Cruz doubled to left scoring Alberto Gonzalez. Runner on second with two outs and Craig Gentry due up.
Angels 15, Rangers 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 30 10:13 PM
- Bobby Wilson grounded out third to first. None on with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 15, Rangers 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 30 10:04 PM
- Josh Hamilton grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Angels 15, Rangers 6 End 7Jul 30 9:46 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to center scoring Bobby Wilson and Mike Trout. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 15, Rangers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 30 9:34 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Angels 12, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 30 9:11 PM
- Alberto Callaspo grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Angels 12, Rangers 3 Mid 6Jul 30 9:01 PM
- Mike Trout singled to center scoring Maicer Izturis and Peter Bourjos. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 3 Top 6, 1 OutJul 30 8:54 PM
- Kendrys Morales none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Albert Pujols. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 30 8:44 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (29) to left. Michael Young due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 30 8:19 PM
- Mike Trout none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Bobby Wilson. Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 30 7:52 PM
- David Murphy doubled to left scoring Josh Hamilton. Runner on second with one out and Mike Napoli due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 30 7:41 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice foul fly out to right scored Nelson Cruz. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runner on third with one out and David Murphy due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 30 7:41 PM
- Maicer Izturis two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 30 7:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22