Weaver wins 15th as Halos blank A'sAug 7, 2012 - 5:21 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver won his ninth consecutive start by pitching a four-hit shutout in the Angels' 4-0 triumph over the Oakland Athletics.
Weaver (15-1), who became the first 15-game winner in the majors this year, fanned nine without allowing a walk. It was the right-hander's second shutout this year and sixth of his career.
"Obviously Weav set the tone and more," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "It's a great time for a game like that anytime from Weav, but to get it what we've been through this week with our bullpen, gives us a big lift."
Weaver, who threw 80 of his 117 pitches for strikes, is 10-0 over his last 12 starts. The 10 straight wins established a career-best. His only loss came May 13 at Texas. The Angels are 17-3 in Weaver's starts this season.
"He kept us off balance all night," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
The Angels scored twice in the second and Torii Hunter had a two-run single in the seventh inning in the opener of this three-game set between these AL West teams who are a half-game apart in the wild card standings.
Jarrod Parker (7-6) gave up nine hits and four runs over 6 2/3 innings in Oakland's third straight loss.
Kendrys Morales doubled to start the top of the second, and with two outs Erick Aybar lined an RBI single to center. Chris Iannetta singled and then Mike Trout, playing on the eve of his 21st birthday, tacked on a run-scoring base hit to right field.
Trout was visibly upset after being thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double in the fifth inning. Josh Reddick delivered a one-bounce throw, but Trout seemed to get his hand on the base before the tag was applied to his fingertips.
Hunter's ground single to center in the seventh plated Aybar and Iannetta.
Major League Baseball denied the Angels' protest of an 8-6, 10-inning loss to the White Sox Friday night. Scioscia argued that Paul Konerko wasn't in the baseline, as required while running to first base on a grounder with the bases loaded. Had Konerko been ruled out it would have been a double play...Weaver has 11 career complete games...Trout extended his club record of consecutive steals to 27 with two more swipes Monday. He hasn't been caught stealing since June 4 vs. Seattle and has 36 steals this season...Aybar, who was on the 15- day disabled list with a fractured big right toe, was activated before the game. The Angels optioned infielder Andrew Romine to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 7 12:42 AM
- Torii Hunter single to center scored Erick Aybar and Chris Iannetta with two out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 0 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 6 11:55 PM
- Mike Trout stole second. Runners on second and third with two outs and Torii Hunter at the plate.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 10:39 PM
- Erick Aybar single to center scored Kendrys Morales with two out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 10:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22