Rays rally from 8-run hole, top AngelsAug 19, 2012 - 5:59 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Carlos Pena's pinch-hit, two-run home run in the eighth inning was the difference as the Tampa Bay Rays rallied from an eight-run deficit to take a 10-8 decision over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the third part of a four-game series.
Evan Longoria also hit a two-run homer, while Ben Zobrist had three RBI for Tampa Bay, which won for the 15th time in their last 20 games.
Alex Cobb started the game for the Rays and gave up eight runs on 12 hits in just 2 2/3 innings, but six relievers combined to shut the door from there, including Fernando Rodney, who left the tying runs in scoring position in the ninth to earn his 38th save of the year.
"It speaks volumes for the character of the group. I really thought we had a shot to come back and our bullpen has been ridiculously good all year," Rays manager Joe Madden said.
Kevin Jepsen (2-2) surrendered Pena's game-deciding blast for the Angels, who have lost three straight and 12 of their last 17.
C.J. Wilson allowed seven runs on six hits and three walks over 4 2/3 innings in the start for LA.
"It's definitely disappointing. There is no doubt about it," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "You can't lose games like that. What's hurting us right now is our pitching. We have to get that settled."
The Angels jumped out to an early lead in their first at-bat, starting with Mike Trout's leadoff homer to left-center field.
Torii Hunter, Albert Pujols, Kendrys Morales and Mark Trumbo followed with four straight singles to plate Hunter and Pujols.
LA added to its lead in the second inning after Erick Aybar hit a leadoff single, stole second and came home on Trout's base hit up the middle. Trout then came home on a Hunter double to left field before Pujols sent a ball into the left-field bleachers for a 7-0 advantage.
The Angels continued their onslaught in the third when Aybar singled and later scored on a Trout single.
But Tampa Bay battled back in the fifth inning after loading the bases with one out on a pair of singles by Sean Rodriguez and Ryan Roberts, and a walk by Jose Lobaton.
Sam Fuld followed with a run-scoring single to center field before Desmond Jennings brought home a run with a walk and Zobrist cleared the bases with a two-out double down the third-base line.
Longoria then hammered a ball over the right-center field wall to knock Wilson off the mound and make it an 8-7 game.
The Rays completed the comeback in the sixth inning as Roberts doubled off the wall in left-center, advanced to third on a passed ball by Chris Iannetta and came home on a sacrifice fly to left field by Lobaton.
After the Angels left the go-ahead run on second in the bottom of the sixth, Tampa Bay went on top in the eighth with Pena's pinch-hit, two-run blast to right.
Jeff Keppinger led off the inning with a single prior to Pena's 16th homer of the year.
"I just want to help the team," Pena said. "Tonight's comeback shows we have a lot of heart. We chipped away little by little and we executed. What a great comeback."
Rodney took the mound for the ninth and hit Howie Kendrick with a pitch and Alberto Callaspo worked a walk to put the tying runs on the bases with one out.
Rodney then skipped a change-up past Iannetta to move the runners to second and third, but Aybar went down swinging before pinch-hitter Maicer Izturis grounded out to short to end the game.
The Angels had a ceremony prior to the start of the game to commemorate the 2002 World Champion club, which included Madden and catcher Jose Molina ... Wilson has not earned a win in his last 10 starts ... Tampa Bay has won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the teams and leads the season series, 8-1 ... Trout finished with three hits, three RBI and two runs scored.
- TAMPA BAY: 10
LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 19 1:09 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Carlos Pena none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored Jeff Keppinger. Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 10, Angels 8 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 19 12:32 AM
- Jose Lobaton sacrifice fly to left scored Ryan Roberts. None on with two outs and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 8, Angels 8 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 18 11:52 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Ben Zobrist. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 7, Angels 8 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 11:27 PM
- Ben Zobrist doubled to left scored Jose Lobaton, Sam Fuld and Desmond Jennings. Runner on second with two outs and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 5, Angels 8 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 11:24 PM
- Desmond Jennings's two-out, bases loaded walk scored Ryan Roberts. Bases loaded with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 2, Angels 8 Top 5, 1 OutAug 18 11:19 PM
- Sam Fuld singled to center scored Sean Rodriguez. On the play, Jose Lobaton advances to second and Ryan Roberts advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 1, Angels 8 Top 5, 1 OutAug 18 11:16 PM
- Mike Trout infield single to second scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Rays 0, Angels 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 10:41 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (27) to left scored Torii Hunter. Kendrys Morales due up.
Rays 0, Angels 7 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 18 10:22 PM
- Torii Hunter doubled to left scored Mike Trout. Runner on second with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Rays 0, Angels 5 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 18 10:20 PM
- Mike Trout singled to left center scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Torii Hunter due up.
Rays 0, Angels 4 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 18 10:18 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to left scored Albert Pujols. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Rays 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 18 9:55 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to right scored Torii Hunter. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rays 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 18 9:53 PM
- Mike Trout lead-off Home Run (23) to center. Torii Hunter due up.
Rays 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 18 9:47 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 9:38 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22