Greinke, Angels down A'sSep 5, 2012 - 7:14 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Zack Greinke fired seven innings of one-run ball to lead the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to a 6-1 win over the Oakland Athletics on Tuesday.
Greinke (4-2) scattered four hits and walked two while striking out four to pick up his third straight win.
"You could see it coming his last couple of starts, just finding the release point," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Greinke's start. "I thought he threw the ball exceptionally well."
"He was a lot better than we saw him last time," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "Just had us off-balanced all night."
Alberto Callaspo went 2-for-3 with two RBI and scored once and Mike Trout had two hits and drove in a run for the Angels, winners in 11 of their last 14.
Brandon Moss stroked a solo homer in the seventh inning for the A's, who have lost two straight on the heels of a nine-game winning streak.
Jarrod Parker (9-8) was pegged with the loss after giving up two runs on eight hits over seven frames. Parker struck out five without issuing a walk in his first loss since Aug. 14.
The Angels plated one in both the fifth and the sixth to take a 2-0 lead.
In the fifth, Callaspo singled to right, moved to third on Chris Ianneta's single then scored when Trout singled to center.
In the sixth, Kendrys Morales and Howie Kendrick hit back-to-back singles before moving up on Aybar's single. Callaspo followed with a sacrifice fly to center field to bring home Morales.
Moss' solo shot in the seventh made it 2-1.
The Angels added a pair in both the eighth and the ninth.
In the eighth, Aybar ripped a double off the wall in left field to score Kendrick. Callaspo followed with a line drive single to right to push Aybar across.
In the ninth Morales doubled to left field to bring home Ianetta and Torii Hunter.
Aybar has a career .340 average in Oakland ... Greinke has pitched seven innings-or-more in six of his eight starts with the Angels and is 3-0 over five starts in Oakland ... The A's have hit homers in each of their last 11 games, but snapped a five-game streak where they hit at least two homers in a game.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 5 12:59 AM
- Kendrys Morales doubled to left scoring Chris Iannetta with two out. On the play, Torii Hunter scored on Stephen Drew's fielding error. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 1 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 5 12:52 AM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to center scoring Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on first and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 5 12:18 AM
- Erick Aybar doubled to left scoring Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 5 12:17 AM
- Brandon Moss lead-off Home Run (16) to left center. Josh Donaldson due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 4 11:56 PM
- Alberto Callaspo sacrifice fly out to center scored Kendrys Morales with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runner on third and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 4 11:38 PM
- Mike Trout singled to center scoring Alberto Callaspo with one out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second. Runners on first and second and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 4 11:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22