Kemp, Dodgers avoid sweep in MilwaukeeApr 19, 2012 - 9:33 PM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp's solo home run in the fifth inning provided the difference, as the Los Angeles Dodgers posted a 4-3 win over Milwaukee and avoided their first-ever sweep at the hands of the Brewers.
Andre Ethier had two hits and knocked in his 18th run of the season for the Dodgers, while Aaron Harang (1-1) gave up three runs on eight hits in six innings.
Travis Ishikawa drove in two runs for Milwaukee, which had beaten Los Angeles in each of the first two games of this series in its last at-bat.
"We could have gotten swept but we also could have swept them, too," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "All three games were kind of nip-and-tuck the whole way. Today we were able to get the big outs."
Former Dodger Randy Wolf (0-2) tossed six frames in the loss, surrendering four runs and seven hits.
The Dodgers loaded the bases in the second but mustered only one run on Matt Treanor's sacrifice fly.
Milwaukee responded with two runs in the bottom of the inning. George Kottaras and Alex Gonzalez hit back-to-back singles, and Ishikawa plated the tying run with a double. Gonzalez then scored on Wolf's sac fly.
But Wolf gave up four consecutive one-out singles in the Los Angeles third. Juan Rivera drove home Mark Ellis and Kemp scored on Ethier's hit to put the Dodgers up 3-2.
Los Angeles extended its lead when Kemp lead off the fifth with his seventh home run of the season, a blast to right that tied him with Ethier in RBI.
"I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, driving in runs and helping us win," Kemp said.
Ishikawa made it 4-3 with a run-scoring single in the sixth, but Harang struck out pinch-hitter Mat Gamel with men on the corners to finish his outing.
In the eighth, the Brewers stranded the tying run at third on Gonzalez's 5-3 grounder.
Javy Guerra picked up his sixth save with a flawless ninth.
"We didn't swing the bats as well today as we did in the first two games," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke.
Jamey Wright struck out five Milwaukee batters in two innings of relief...Wolf spent two seasons with the Dodgers in 2007 and 2009.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 19 4:10 PM
- Travis Ishikawa singled to right scored Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Alex Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Randy Wolf due up.
Dodgers 4, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 19 3:08 PM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 4, Brewers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 19 2:34 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to right scored Matt Kemp. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Dodgers 3, Brewers 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 19 2:05 PM
- Juan Rivera singled to right scored Mark Ellis. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 19 2:03 PM
- Randy Wolf sacrifice fly out to right scored Alex Gonzalez. On the play, Travis Ishikawa advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 19 1:52 PM
- Travis Ishikawa doubled to right center scored George Kottaras. On the play, Alex Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Randy Wolf due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 19 1:51 PM
- Matt Treanor sacrifice fly out to right scored Andre Ethier. On the play, Jerry Hairston Jr. advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Aaron Harang due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 19 1:41 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 1:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22