Dodgers trounce GiantsMay 8, 2012 - 7:44 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Andre Ethier finished 2-for-4 with a two- run single and a walk as the Los Angeles Dodgers trounced the San Francisco Giants, 9-1, in the opener of a three-game set at Dodger Stadium on Monday.
Juan Rivera added two RBI, Mark Ellis, Adam Kennedy and A.J. Ellis contributed an RBI apiece and Matt Kemp went 3-for-3 with a run scored an a walk, raising his major league-leading batting average to .406. Los Angeles has won two of its last three games.
"40-plus thousand people on a Monday game...it's good to see that back in here in LA," said Kemp of the enthusiastic fanbase.
Ted Lilly (4-0) gave up just one run on four hits and two walks while striking out six in six innings.
Joaquin Arias went 3-for-4 and knocked in the only run for the Giants, who took two of three from the Milwaukee Brewers over the weekend,
Barry Zito (1-1) yielded three runs on eight hits and four walks over six innings while whiffing three.
With the game tied at one, Los Angeles took the lead for good with a pair of runs in the sixth, then blew the game open with six more runs over its final two at-bats.
Bobby Abreu started the rally in the sixth with a one-out single and Juan Uribe walked. Ellis then knocked home Abreu with a double to right and Uribe came home on a pinch-hit single by Tony Gwynn Jr. coupled with an error by Giants third baseman Conor Gillaspie to make it 3-1.
Kemp ripped a double down the line in right in the seventh and scored from on a throwing error by relief pitcher Steve Edlefsen to push the Dodgers lead to 4-1.
Ellis opened the Los Angeles eighth with a single, Gwynn reached on a fielding error by Buster Posey and Dee Gordon reached on an infield single to load the bases with no outs. Mark Ellis drew a walk to score A.J. Ellis and Kennedy brought home Gwynn with a pinch-hit single to right. Ethier followed with a single to left to score Gordon and Rivera capped the frame with a groundout to bring home Kennedy.
Earlier, the Dodgers opened the scoring in the third when Mark Ellis ripped a one-out double, Kemp was intentionally walked and Ethier also walked to load the bases. Ellis was then able to cross the plate on a groundout by Rivera to give LA an early 1-0 lead.
San Francisco responded to tie the game in the sixth. Melky Cabrera laced a single to begin the frame and moved to second on Kemp's fielding error. After Posey struck out and Pill flied out, Cabrera advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a base hit by Arias.
Earlier on Monday, Giants reliever Guillermo Mota was suspended 100 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance...San Francisco went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10 on base.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 9
May 8 1:16 AM
- Juan Rivera ground out short to first scored Adam Kennedy with one out. Runner on second and James Loney due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 9 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 8 1:02 AM
- Andre Ethier single to left scored Dee Gordon and Mark Ellis with none out. On the play, Adam Kennedy advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Juan Rivera due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 8 1:00 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Adam Kennedy single to right scored Tony Gwynn Jr with none out. On the play, Mark Ellis advanced to second and Dee Gordon advanced to third. Bases loaded and Andre Ethier due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 8 12:58 AM
- Mark Ellis walk scored A.J. Ellis with none out. Bases loaded and Josh Lindblom due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 8 12:56 AM
- Juan Rivera reached first and advanced to second on a fielder's choice attempt throwing error on Steve Edlefsen that allowed Matt Kemp to score with one out. Runner on second and Ronald Belisario due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 8 12:36 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Tony Gwynn Jr. bunt singled to third. On the play, Juan Uribe scored on Conor Gillaspie's throwing error with one out. Runners on first and second and Dee Gordon due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 8 12:16 AM
- A.J. Ellis double to right scored Bobby Abreu with one out. On the play, Juan Uribe advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Ted Lilly due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 8 12:13 AM
- Joaquin Arias single to center scored Melky Cabrera with two out. Runner on first and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 7 11:59 PM
- Juan Rivera ground out second to first scored Mark Ellis with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advanced to second and Matt Kemp advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Bobby Abreu due up.
Giants 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 7 11:11 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22