Brewers sweep DodgersJun 1, 2012 - 6:08 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Zack Greinke pitched six strong innings while Carlos Gomez and Aramis Ramirez each hit a two-run homer as the Milwaukee Brewers took a 6-2 win to cap a four-game sweep of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Greinke (6-2) gave up just one run on nine hits with a walk and six strikeouts while Rickie Weeks and Martin Maldonado each drove in a run for the Brewers, who have won six of their last eight.
"I feel great with the way we are playing," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "We can compete with anyone with the team we have out there."
It's Milwaukee's first-ever four game sweep at Dodger Stadium.
Chad Billingsley (2-4) was touched for four runs on six hits over six innings with eight strikeouts to take the loss. He also drove in a run and went 2- for-2 for the Dodgers, who have lost six of eight.
The real bad news for Los Angeles, though, came before the game as the team put outfielder Matt Kemp back on the disabled list.
He had come off the DL on Tuesday, but aggravated his strained left hamstring on Wednesday and will now be out for another spell.
The Brewers jumped on top in the second inning. Ramirez led off with a walk and Taylor Green followed with a double. Weeks then singled home Ramirez and Maldonado hit into a fielder's choice to plate Green for a 2-0 lead.
The Dodgers got one back in the second on a two-out single from Billingsley to score Adam Kennedy. Elian Herrera walked to load the bases, but A.J. Ellis looked at strike three to end the frame.
The third inning saw Milwaukee take a 4-1 lead as Nyjer Morgan singled to leadoff the inning and Ramirez hit his fifth homer of the season.
The Dodgers put runners on base in every inning through the first seven, but hit into double plays in the fifth and seventh.
In the home eighth, Alex Castellanos, making his MLB-debut, was hit by a pitch with one out, but Scott Van Slyke was ruled out on catcher interference and Dee Gordon grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
Gomez hit his second home run of the season with a man on base in the ninth to give Milwaukee a five-run lead.
The Dodgers put their first two men on base in the ninth off of Tim Dillard, but Ellis hit into a double play. Manny Parra then gave up an RBI single to James Loney, but got Andre Ethier to groundout to end the game.
"We're getting a lot of hits but obviously we've got to get them in," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "If we swing the bats like this we'll be fine. We gave ourselves chances but we didn't get the big hit."
The Dodgers recalled Castellanos from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Kemp's spot on the roster...The Dodgers hit the road for the next 10 games starting in Colorado on Friday...Milwaukee plays three at home against Pittsburgh beginning on Friday...The Brewers took six of seven from the Dodgers this season...The last time Los Angeles suffered a four-game sweep at home was at the hands of Colorado from Aug. 9-12, 1993.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 1 1:30 AM
- Pinch-Hitter James Loney single to center scored Ivan De Jesus with two outs. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Brewers 6, Dodgers 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 1 1:28 AM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Norichika Aoki. Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 6, Dodgers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 1 1:13 AM
- Aramis Ramirez one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Nyjer Morgan. Taylor Green due up.
Brewers 4, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 31 11:07 PM
- Chad Billingsley single to center scored Adam Kennedy with two outs. On the play, Scott Van Slyke advances to second. Runners on first and second and Elian Herrera due up.
Brewers 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 31 10:53 PM
- Martin Maldonado grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Taylor Green with one out. Rickie Weeks out at second. Runner on first and Edwin Maysonet due up.
Brewers 2, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 31 10:38 PM
- Rickie Weeks single to right scored Aramis Ramirez with none out. On the play, Taylor Green advances to third. Runners on first and third and Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 31 10:36 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 10:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22