A's beat Dodgers behind Milone's CGJun 21, 2012 - 6:13 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Tommy Milone tossed his first career complete game on Wednesday as the Oakland Athletics downed the Los Angeles Dodgers, 4-1, in the middle installment of a three-game series at the Coliseum.
Milone (7-5) surrendered just one run on three hits and one walk and retired 22 of the final 24 batters he faced to snap a personal four-game winless skid.
"I have to give it to my defense tonight," said Milone. "I was throwing balls over the plate and they were hitting them and they were making plays out there."
Brandon Moss crushed a solo home run and Yoenis Cespedes added an RBI and a run scored for the A's, who have won seven of their last eight games.
Nathan Eovaldi (0-3) remains winless on the year after giving up three runs on seven hits and three walks over six frames to absorb the loss.
Juan Uribe plated the only Dodger run with a double in the second as Los Angeles has managed just five hits over the first two games of this series.
"Their pitch count has been down both nights, that means they've been throwing strikes and forced us to swing the bat," admitted Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "They've kind of attacked us and really kept us down."
After Juan Rivera singled to start the second, Uribe lofted a ball into shallow right, where Josh Reddick made a diving attempt at the ball, but it popped out of his glove as he hit the ground, allowing Rivera to score to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
The A's evened the game in the fourth as Cespedes doubled to start the frame and came around to score when Seth Smith clubbed a two-bagger of his own to knot the game at 1-1.
Oakland then loaded the bases in the fifth as Eric Sogard singled, Coco Crisp walked and Jemile Weeks reached first on a perfect bunt single.
Reddick followed with a tailor-made double-play groundout, but it was good enough to plate Sogard from third and provide the A's with a 2-1 edge.
Cespedes then lofted a single into shallow left-center field, scoring Crisp to make it a two-run margin.
Milone shut the Dodgers down after the second, retiring 14 batters in a row before Jerry Hairston singled with one-out in the seventh. Milone then induced back-to-back groundouts to keep it a two-run game.
Oakland tacked on an insurance run in the eighth when Moss crushed a two-out blast deep into the right-center field seats to extend the lead to 4-1 before Milone fired a perfect ninth to complete the A's first complete game of the season.
Oakland holds an 11-2 edge in the series at home in interleague play...Milone improved to 5-1 in six starts at home and hasn't allowed more than two earned runs in any of those starts...LA finished 1-for-3 with runners in scoring position and left four on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Jun 21 12:31 AM
- Brandon Moss two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right center. Cliff Pennington due up.
Dodgers 1, Athletics 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 21 12:22 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to left scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Dodgers 1, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 20 11:42 PM
- Josh Reddick grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Eric Sogard with two out. On the play, Jemile Weeks out at second and Coco Crisp advances to third. Runner on third with Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Dodgers 1, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 20 11:40 PM
- Brandon Moss struck out swinging. Runner on second with one out and Cliff Pennington due up.
Dodgers 1, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 20 11:19 PM
- Juan Uribe double to right scored Juan Rivera with two out. Runner on second and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 20 10:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 10:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22