Giants take down Dodgers, increase NL West leadAug 22, 2012 - 5:36 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Buster Posey knocked in a pair of runs and Tim Lincecum and the Giants bullpen shut down the Dodgers in a 4-1 victory.
Lincecum (7-13) gave up just one run on five hits and one walk over 5 2/3 innings for the division-leading Giants, who have won four of their last five.
Angel Pagan went 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI and threw a runner out at the plate to prevent a big sixth inning for Los Angeles.
"It's great to come in here and take the first two games," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
San Francisco increased its cushion in the NL West to 1 1/2 games over the second-place Dodgers and will look to complete a three-game sweep when Matt Cain takes the hill Wednesday opposite Chris Capuano.
Joe Blanton (8-12) suffered a third straight loss in a Dodgers uniform, allowing four runs on 10 hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings.
One night after Madison Bumgarner outdueled Clayton Kershaw in the Giants' 2-1 win, Lincecum showed he still has the arsenal that made him a two-time Cy Young Award winner by retiring the first 10 batters he faced.
Posey gave him some early run support when he singled in Pagan and Marco Scutaro with a base hit to right field in the first.
The Giants tacked on two more in the fourth when Brandon Crawford knocked in Gregor Blanco with a single and scored on Pagan's two-out double to right- center.
Lincecum ran into trouble in the sixth, but Pagan bailed him out when he threw out A.J. Ellis trying to score from second on Shane Victorino's base hit to center. The Dodgers later loaded the bases and only pushed one run across on Matt Kemp's sacrifice fly.
Jose Mijares struck out Andre Ethier to strand runners on the corners in the sixth, and Santiago Casilla hurled two perfect innings leading up to the ninth.
Sergio Romo was pulled after yielding a one-out single to Kemp, and Javier Lopez induced a game-ending double-play ground ball off the bat of Ethier to record his third save of the season.
"We had chances, but couldn't get the big hit," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Lincecum dropped six of his first seven decisions on the road before winning his last three ... The Giants have gone 5-0-1 in five road series since the All-Star break... The Dodgers fell to 6-11 at home since the All-Star break ... Adam Kennedy had two of LA's six hits.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
LOS ANGELES: 1
Aug 22 12:58 AM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly to right scored Juan Rivera. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 21 11:57 PM
- Marco Scutaro struck out looking to end the inning.
Giants 4, Dodgers 0 Mid 4Aug 21 11:16 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to left scored Gregor Blanco. Runner on first with one out and Tim Lincecum due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 21 11:11 PM
- Buster Posey singled to left center scored Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 21 10:18 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22