Infante lifts Marlins over Padres in 12 inningsMay 5, 2012 - 7:11 AM
Steve Cishek (4-0) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to earn the win after Heath Bell gave up the tying run in the bottom of the ninth for his fourth blown save of the year.
Hanley Ramirez had a three-run home run and Giancarlo Stanton added a two-run homer for the Marlins, who won their fourth straight game.
Josh Spence (0-1) gave up the deciding run to suffer the loss as San Diego had its two-game win streak snapped.
Josh Johnson started the game for the Marlins and allowed six runs on six hits and three walks in just 2 2/3 innings, while Anthony Bass gave up six runs on six hits and three walks with seven strikeouts in a six-inning start for San Diego.
Bass also had two hits and three RBI in a losing effort.
San Diego entered the ninth trailing, 8-7, after stranding the game-tying run on third base in the seventh, but pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman greeted Bell with a leadoff double into the right-field corner.
Cameron Maybin stepped up next and after failing to lay down a sacrifice bunt, he slapped a double down the first-base line to score Guzman.
Jason Bartlett's sac bunt moved Maybin to third and after Andy Parrino was intentionally walked, Chris Denorfia struck out on a foul tip. Mark Kotsay was then given a free pass when Bell fell behind in the count, loading the bases for Chase Headley, who hit a grounder to second to end the inning.
After the Padres left a man on third in the 11th inning, Miami brought home the deciding run in the 12th off Spence when Ramirez led off the frame with walk and rounded the bases two batters later on Infante's double off the base of the wall in left-center field.
Maybin had a chance to get Ramirez at the plate, but his throw was well off the mark and Ramirez scored easily.
Yonder Alonso singled with one out in the bottom of the frame and pinch-runner Blake Tekotte later stole second to place the tying run on second with two outs, but Guzman lined out to second to end the game.
The Marlins brought home five runs in the first inning to jump out to an early lead.
After Jose Reyes led off the game with a base hit that was followed by an Emilio Bonifacio walk, Ramirez pulled a ball just over the left-center field wall.
Infante later singled before Stanton hammered a ball to straightaway center field for his fourth home run of the year.
The Padres had a chance to cut into the lead in the bottom of the frame when they loaded the bases with one out on singles by Kotsay and Alonso around Headley getting hit by a pitch, but Nick Hundley flew out to center and Orlando Hudson struck out looking to end the inning.
San Diego, though, was able to answer with a big inning of its own in the third when Will Venable started the frame with a walk and rounded the bases two batters later on Headley's double into the left-field corner.
Headley then moved to third on an Alonso groundout before coming home on a Hundley two-bagger to left. Hudson followed with a base hit to plate Hundley, and consecutive walks to Maybin and Bartlett filled the bags.
Bass stepped up to the plate next and slapped a ball to right field that skipped past the glove of Stanton for a base-clearing triple that knocked Johnson off the mound.
Dan Jennings took the mound next and got out of the inning without any further damage to keep it a 6-5 game in favor of San Diego.
But Reyes hit a one-out double in the fourth, advanced to third on a Bonifacio groundout and came home on a balk by Bass to knot the game at six.
The Padres regained their lead in the fifth against Chad Gaudin when Bass legged out an infield single, moved to second on a Venable base hit and rounded third on Kotsay's single up the middle, sliding safely past the swiping tag of Marlins catcher Brett Hayes.
However, Miami answered in the seventh inning off Luke Gregerson as Bonifacio worked a one-out walk before stealing second and scoring on Greg Dobbs' single to right.
Dobbs advanced to second on the play when Venable threw home attempting to catch Bonifacio at the plate, and Infante followed with a single to right off new pitcher Andrew Cashner to bring home Dobbs, who just beat Kotsay's throw home to give Miami an 8-7 edge.
Bass' three-run triple was his first career hit...Padres pitcher Huston Street left the game in the 10th inning with a strained right shoulder...Miami lost all seven games between the teams last season...Bonifacio is 13-for-13 in stolen base attempts this season...Game Time: 4:45.
- MIAMI: 9
SAN DIEGO: 8
May 5 2:52 AM
- Omar Infante double to left scored Hanley Ramirez with one out. Runner on second and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 9, Padres 8 Top 12, 1 OutMay 5 2:38 AM
- Cameron Maybin double to right scored Jesus Guzman with none out. Runner on second and Jason Bartlett due up.
Marlins 8, Padres 8 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 5 1:28 AM
- Omar Infante single to left scored Greg Dobbs with two out. On the play, Omar Infante advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 8, Padres 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 12:44 AM
- Greg Dobbs single to right scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 7, Padres 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 12:37 AM
- Mark Kotsay single to center scored Anthony Bass with two out. On the play, Will Venable advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chase Headley due up.
Marlins 6, Padres 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 5 12:06 AM
- Hanley Ramirez struck out looking to end the inning.
Marlins 6, Padres 6 Mid 4May 4 11:36 PM
- Anthony Bass tripled to right scored Orlando Hudson, Cameron Maybin and Jason Bartlett with two out. Runner on third and Will Venable due up.
Marlins 5, Padres 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 4 11:22 PM
- Orlando Hudson single to center scored Nick Hundley with two out. Runner on first and Cameron Maybin due up.
Marlins 5, Padres 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 4 11:11 PM
- Nick Hundley double to left scored Chase Headley with two out. Runner on second and Orlando Hudson due up.
Marlins 5, Padres 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 4 11:09 PM
- Chase Headley double to left scored Will Venable with one out. Runner on second and Yonder Alonso due up.
Marlins 5, Padres 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 4 11:07 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Omar Infante. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 5, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 4 10:17 PM
- Hanley Ramirez none-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 3, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 4 10:14 PM
- MIAMI: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 10:07 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22