Bumgarner, Giants knock off BrewersMay 6, 2012 - 1:10 AM
Bumgarner (5-1) gave up just six hits and one walk while striking out five. Javier Lopez finished off the eighth after Guillermo Mota served up a leadoff home run and Santiago Casilla tossed a scoreless ninth to record his fifth save of the season.
Bumgarner also added an RBI double. Buster Posey finished 2-for-4 with an RBI single, while Hector Sanchez, Conor Gillaspie and Brett Pill had an RBI apiece for the Giants, who snapped a four-game skid.
"We have to keep going out there and playing with determination," Giants outfielder Angel Pagan said. "We have to keep that same momentum and keep playing hard and we'll be fine."
Ryan Braun cracked a solo homer and Alex Gonzalez added an RBI single for the Brewers, who have dropped three of their last four contests.
Randy Wolf (2-3) was tagged for four runs on nine hits while striking out three and did not walk a batter over six full frames.
With the game tied at one, the Giants took the lead for good in the sixth, plating three runs to jump out to a 4-1 lead. Melky Cabrera started the rally with a bang as he crushed a triple off the wall in left-center field and scored on a single by Posey.
Pill then drove home Posey with a double to deep center and Joaquin Arias followed with a base hit into left to put runners on the corners. After Sanchez grounded out, Gillaspie hit into a fielder' choice, which allowed Pill to score.
The Brewers got a run back when Braun led off the eighth by crushing a sinker that was up from Mota over the wall in left, but San Francisco got it right back in the home half of the eighth.
After Posey whiffed and Nate Schierholtz grounded out, Arias sent one on the ground to third and reached on a throwing error by Aramis Ramirez. The error would prove costly for Milwaukee as Sanchez followed by hammering a sinker from Tim Dillard for a double to deep center field to score Arias.
"They were smoking the balls and they happened to be perfectly placed which allows them to get that extra base," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "It's a lot different when you have a guy on second base versus a guy on third. You pitch differently and play the infield differently. They're splitting the gaps on us."
Earlier, Milwaukee opened the scoring in the second inning when Ramirez began the frame with a double deep to left and scored on a single up the middle by Gonzalez two batters later to give the Brewers the early advantage.
San Francisco answered with the tying run in the fifth. Sanchez started the inning with a double over the head of center fielder Norichika Aoki. After Gillaspie flew out, Bumgarner drove home Sanchez with a double down the left- field line to tie the game at one.
Bumgarner won his fifth straight start and improved to 11-1 over his last 13 outings on the shores of McCovey Cove.....Milwaukee fell to 6-9 on the road this season...Gonzalez left the game in the second inning with an injury to his right knee...Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez will be placed on the 15-day DL after suffering a strained left hamstring in Friday's game...In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, the Giants wore their Gigantes jerseys. San Francisco has posted an 8-3 record when wearing these jerseys...San Francisco is hitting just .254 at home this season.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
May 5 6:58 PM
- Hector Sanchez double to center scored Joaquin Arias with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Conor Gillaspie due up.
Brewers 2, Giants 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 5 6:48 PM
- Ryan Braun lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 2, Giants 4 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 5 6:28 PM
- Conor Gillaspie fielder's choice to second scored Brett Pill with two out. Hector Sanchez out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 6:10 PM
- Brett Pill double to center scored Buster Posey with none out. Runner on second with none out and Joaquin Arias due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 5 6:03 PM
- Buster Posey single to center scored Melky Cabrera with none out. Runner on first with none out and Brett Pill due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 5 6:02 PM
- Madison Bumgarner double to left scored Hector Sanchez with one out. Runner on second with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 5 5:45 PM
- Alex Gonzalez single to center scored Aramis Ramirez with one out. Runner on first with one out and Brooks Conrad due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 5 4:33 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 4:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21