Posey helps Giants down BrewersMay 23, 2012 - 3:57 AM
Joaquin Arias smacked his first major league home run -- a two-run shot to left -- and Angel Pagan knocked in a run with a sacrifice fly for the Giants, who have won four of their last five games.
"He looked fresh," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Posey's game after catching 12 innings on Monday. "He likes this park, he sees the ball well here."
Matt Cain (4-2) allowed four runs on 11 hits and did not issue a walk while fanning eight to earn his first win against the Brewers since the 2009 season. Sergio Romo tossed a perfect eighth and Santiago Casilla worked around a walk in the ninth to earn his 11th save of the season, despite pitching two innings in Monday's 14-inning victory.
Rickie Weeks crushed a two-run double, Norichika Aoki added an RBI two-bagger and Ryan Braun, who was in the starting lineup despite leaving Monday's game in the 10th inning due to groin tenderness, contributed an RBI single in the loss for Milwaukee, which has dropped six of its last seven.
Shaun Marcum (2-3) allowed six runs on five hits and two walks while whiffing five over six innings to take the loss.
San Francisco opened the scoring with a pair of runs in its first at-bat. Brandon Crawford got things started with a one-out single and Melky Cabrera followed with a base hit to put runners on the corners. Posey then launched a ball into the left-center field gap that hopped over the wall, scoring Crawford, and Cabrera came home on a sacrifice fly by Pagan for a 2-0 game.
The Giants widened their lead to 4-0 in the fourth when Aubrey Huff coaxed a two-out walk from Marcum and Arias followed by launching a fastball deep into the left-field bleachers.
Aramis Ramirez ripped a one-out single to left in the Milwaukee fourth and Jonathan Lucroy doubled to put men on second and third before Weeks brought home Ramirez and Lucroy with a double into the left-center field gap to cut the deficit to 4-2.
San Francisco widened its lead again in the sixth when Cabrera started the inning with a walk and Posey followed with a moonshot home run to deep center field that banged off the scoreboard and landed back in the field of play. Posey's sixth of the year made it a 6-2 game.
Pinch-hitter George Kottaras ripped a single to begin the seventh for the Brewers and Aoki brought him in with a double into the right-center field gap. Aoki then went to third on a flyout by Nyjer Morgan and scored on a base hit by Braun to cut the deficit to 6-4.
The Brewers would get no closer as Romo and Casilla closed out the win in the final two innings.
"The walks before the big hits really hurt us," remarked Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "Posey hit a high 3-2 changeup. They only had five hits but still scored six runs. We had some chances but we didn't bring them in."
The Giants have won 15 of their last 22 games against the Brewers...San Francisco was 1-for-2 with runners in scoring position and stranded just two on base, while the Brewers finished 2-for-13 with men in scoring position and left seven on base.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
May 22 11:09 PM
- Ryan Braun single to left scored Norichika Aoki with two out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Giants 6, Brewers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 22 10:31 PM
- Norichika Aoki double to right center scored George Kottaras with one out. Runner on second and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Giants 6, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 22 10:27 PM
- Buster Posey none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Melky Cabrera. Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 6, Brewers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 22 9:52 PM
- Rickie Weeks double to left center scored Aramis Ramirez and Jonathan Lucroy with one out. Runner on second and Taylor Green due up.
Giants 4, Brewers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 22 9:26 PM
- Joaquin Arias two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Aubrey Huff. Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 4, Brewers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 22 9:15 PM
- Angel Pagan sacrifice fly to left scored Melky Cabrera with two out. Runner on second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 22 8:22 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 22 8:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21