Maldonado lifts Brewers over TwinsJun 16, 2012 - 3:59 AM
With Matt Capps (1-4) on the mound, Corey Hart doubled to start the inning, but stayed there as the next two batters recorded outs. Maldonado, though, crushed a 2-2 pitch deep over the wall in left-center for the lead.
John Axford, who had blown saves in outings on Wednesday and Thursday against the Royals, set the Twins down in order in the ninth for his 11th save of the season.
Kameron Loe (3-2) took the win for pitching 1 2/3 scoreless innings while Yovani Gallardo gave up three runs on eight hits with two walks and seven strikeouts over six innings in the start for the Brewers, who were coming off a sweep at the hands of Kansas City. Ryan Braun hit a three-run home run in the win.
Trevor Plouffe continued his torrid pace in June with his eighth and ninth home runs of the month. Brian Dozier went 3-for-4 with a run scored while Alexi Casilla was 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Twins, who have dropped four of their last five.
"That was a tough one to lose tonight," said Dozier. "Francisco pitched a great game, just one bad pitch that I bet he wishes he could have back. But it was definitely a tough loss, we were right there the whole night."
Francisco Liriano carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning and finished the game giving up three runs on one hit, Braun's homer, with four walks and six strikeouts over six-plus innings.
Plouffe led off the fifth with a solo homer and Casilla singled home a run later in the inning to stake the Twins to a 2-0 lead.
Liriano carried his no-hitter into the sixth inning and had a 2-0 lead, but he walked Edwin Maysonet to start the inning and later walked Carlos Gomez. Braun then launched a shot over the center field wall to give the Brewers a 3-2 advantage on their first hit of the contest.
The deficit didn't last long, though, as Plouffe hit his second solo homer of the game with one out in the bottom of the sixth to tie the game.
"I just tried to throw my best stuff like I do every night," said Gallardo. "He's (Plouffe) been hitting everything guys throw at him and has just been tough to pitch to. When you're hot, you're hot."
Plouffe, who celebrated his 26th birthday on Friday, is batting 19-for-48 along with the nine homers, 16 RBI and 14 runs scored over 12 games in June.
Braun has a 20-game hitting streak in interleague play...Minnesota took two of three from the Brewers in Milwaukee from May 18-20...Minnesota left nine men on base...Michael Fiers pitches for the Brewers on Saturday while Liam Hendriks will take the mound for Minnesota.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
Jun 15 11:11 PM
- Martin Maldonado two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left center scored Corey Hart. Edwin Maysonet due up.
Brewers 5, Twins 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 15 11:03 PM
- Drew Butera flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Alexi Casilla due up.
Brewers 3, Twins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 15 10:03 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, three-run Home Run (17) to center scored Edwin Maysonet and Carlos Gomez to break up Francisco Liriano's no-hitter. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 3, Twins 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 15 9:50 PM
- Alexi Casilla single to left scored Brian Dozier with none out. On the play, Drew Butera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Denard Span due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 15 9:28 PM
- Trevor Plouffe lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Brian Dozier due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 15 9:21 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22