Ransom's slam sends Brewers past BucsJul 14, 2012 - 5:41 AM
Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez both singled before executing a double-steal to put runners at second and third. Rickie Weeks was then intentionally walked to load the bases for Ransom, who crushed his first career grand slam.
Braun finished the game 4-for-4 with a pair of solo homers and Corey Hart had three hits and scored a run for the Brewers, winners in three of four and seven of 10.
Francisco Rodriguez (2-4) got the win after tossing a scoreless seventh. Zack Greinke started for Milwaukee and gave up six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits and struck out six.
"Today I thought he was a little bit off," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Greinke's start. "He's had some unusual things happen to him. To pitch three games in a row is a little odd. We had a good bullpen tonight. (Jose) Veras came in and threw the ball well."
Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez and Neil Walker each homered for the Pirates, who had won six of seven coming in.
Tony Watson (4-1) was pegged with the loss after giving up Ransom's grand slam.
"We weren't real sharp on the mound tonight," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "He (Watson) just made a bad pitch. I don't think anything in this game is ever a no-brainer. Tip your hat to Ransom, anyone with a bat at this level is dangerous."
The Brewers scored three with two outs in the first to go up 3-0. Ryan Braun blasted a solo homer, his 25th of the year. Aramis Ramirez followed with a walk and Corey Hart singled before Weeks smacked a double to plate two more.
Pittsburgh got on the board in the third because of a two-out error. James McDonald walked, moved to third on a Drew Sutton double and then scored when Weeks committed an error.
A four-run fourth gave the Pirates a 5-3 advantage. Rod Barajas and Clint Barmes hit each singled before Sutton doubled to left to score Barajas. Walker followed with a three-run homer to left-center to clear the bases.
The Brewers were able to push one across in the home half. Martin Maldonado singled, moved to second when Norichika Aoki walked and took third when Nyjer Morgan grounded out. Braun followed with a single to plate Maldonado.
Alvarez's solo shot in the fifth made it 6-4.
But Milwaukee scored again in the home half after Weeks walked, moved to second on a Maldonado single and scored when Travis Ishikawa singled to left- center.
Braun's second homer of the night knotted things up at 6-6 in the sixth.
McCutchen hit a home run in the ninth to cap the scoring.
Braun has 16 multi-homer games in his career and four this season...Maldonado had a career-high four hits and stole his first base...Milwaukee has four grand slams this season...Walker extended his hitting streak to 13 games...The Pirates were unable to sign first-round draft pick Mark Appel. The Pirates will have the ninth overall selection in next year's draft as compensation for not being able to sign him.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
Jul 14 12:02 AM
- Garrett Jones singled to right. Runner on first with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 7, Brewers 10 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 13 11:56 PM
- Cody Ransom two-out, Grand Slam (8) to left center scored Ryan Braun, Aramis Ramirez and Rickie Weeks. Martin Maldonado due up.
Pirates 6, Brewers 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 13 11:46 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, solo Home Run 2 (26) to right. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Pirates 6, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 13 10:28 PM
- Norichika Aoki struck out swinging to end the inning.
Pirates 6, Brewers 5 End 5Jul 13 10:10 PM
- Pedro Alvarez two-out, solo Home Run (17) to right center. Rod Barajas due up.
Pirates 6, Brewers 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 13 9:51 PM
- Garrett Jones struck out swinging. None on with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 5, Brewers 4 Top 5, 1 OutJul 13 9:48 PM
- Neil Walker two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to center scored Clint Barmes and Drew Sutton. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 5, Brewers 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 13 9:30 PM
- Drew Sutton doubled to left scoring Rod Barajas with two out. On the play, Clint Barmes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 13 9:29 PM
- Garrett Jones reached first on Rickie Weeks's fielding error scoring James McDonald with two out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second and Drew Sutton advances to third. Bases loaded and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 13 9:10 PM
- Cody Ransom flied out to center to end the inning.
Pirates 0, Brewers 3 End 1Jul 13 8:33 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (25) to right center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 13 8:22 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 13 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21