Craig lifts Cards over Brewers in extrasSep 10, 2012 - 12:24 AM
Matt Carpenter hit a leadoff single to right field off of Kameron Loe (6-5). During pinch-hitter Adron Chambers' at-bat, who struck out, Carpenter advanced to second following a wild pitch. Craig came up next and ripped a base hit to right field, which plated Carpenter for the winning run.
Lance Lynn (14-7) tossed a scoreless 10th to pick up the win for St. Louis, which snapped its three-game losing streak.
"It was a great feeling to come out on top. The last few days haven't been so great," Craig said.
Norichika Aoki tallied two hits, including a game-tying, two-out, two-run homer in the ninth off of Jason Motte for the Brewers, who had won four of its last five games coming in.
"To battle back, certainly going into the last inning against one of the best closers in the game and we get two runs off him to tie it, that's resiliency," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Matt Holliday smacked a two-run homer and Carlos Beltran hit a solo shot in the opening frame, which helped the Cardinals jump out to a 3-0 lead.
The Brewers got a run back in the second when Corey Hart, who led off the inning with a double before moving to third on a Carlos Gomez groundout, scored on a Joe Kelly wild pitch.
St. Louis countered in the bottom half as Kelly hit a one-out double before coming across the plate two batters later on Carpenter's Tobago to right field, which made it 4-1.
Milwaukee cut the margin in half in the fourth on Jean Segura's two-out, RBI single to center field.
Milwaukee was 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base, while St. Louis finished 4-for-10 with RISP and stranded six ... Milwaukee starter Shaun Marcum surrendered four runs on eight hits in five innings, while Kelly allowed two runs on five hits and two walks over a six- inning start for the Cardinals.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
ST. LOUIS: 5
Sep 9 5:40 PM
- Norichika Aoki two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Jean Segura. Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 9 5:09 PM
- Jean Segura singled to center scoring Corey Hart with two outs. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Shaun Marcum due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 4 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 9 3:31 PM
- Matt Carpenter doubled to right scoring Joe Kelly with two outs. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Brewers 1, Cardinals 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 9 3:06 PM
- Corey Hart scored on Joe Kelly's wild pitch with two outs. None out and Jean Segura at the plate.
Brewers 1, Cardinals 3 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 9 2:52 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, solo Home Run (29) to right. Skip Schumaker due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 9 2:38 PM
- Matt Holliday one-out, two-run Home Run (26) to left center scored Jon Jay. Allen Craig due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 9 2:36 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 2:16 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21