Hernandez's gem lifts Mariners past TwinsMay 6, 2012 - 5:37 AM
Hernandez (3-1), who gave up only a single to Denard Span leading off the fourth inning, walked two batters and piled up nine strikeouts.
"Felix went out there and just pitched tremendously again," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "Really commanded the ball game, but it was nice to see our young offensive players really step up there for him."
Ichiro Suzuki added a two-run triple during a five-run seventh inning, as the Mariners snapped a seven-game slide.
Jason Marquis (2-1) allowed four hits and a pair of runs while walking six over six innings for the Twins, who have dropped four of their last five contests. They've been shut out in three of their last four games.
Span's hit, combined with walks to Josh Willingham and Ryan Doumit loaded the bases with two outs for the Twins, but Chris Parmelee flied out to left to end the threat.
"He's got so many different pitches, he hides the ball good," Twins acting manager Scott Ullger said. "He can throw it down in the zone, he can elevate it. He's got four above average pitches and he's got command of them, so he's tough to hit."
The Mariners finally went ahead in the sixth. Dustin Ackley led off with an infield hit and Suzuki walked with one out. With two down and both runners in scoring position, Seager lined a single to center for a 2-0 lead.
Anthony Swarzak walked Mike Carp leading off the bottom of the seventh and Michael Saunders bunted for a hit toward third base. After Ackley was walked, Brendan Ryan lofted a sacrifice fly to left.
Matt Maloney then entered from the bullpen, but he was greeted by Suzuki's gap shot to right-center, a stand-up triple. Two batters later, Jeff Gray surrendered Seager's two-run homer to right.
Hernandez has tossed at least eight innings in four starts this season. He's 5-5 lifetime against Minnesota...The six walks tied a career-high for Marquis...Minnesota has lost 10 of its last 12 games...After the game, the Twins placed designated hitter Justin Morneau on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right wrist.
- MINNESOTA: 0
May 5 11:44 PM
- Kyle Seager two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Ichiro Suzuki. John Jaso due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 5 11:17 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki tripled to right center scored Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley. Runner on third with one out and Jesus Montero due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 5 11:12 PM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice fly to left scored pinch-runner Casper Wells. On the play, Michael Saunders advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 5 11:09 PM
- Kyle Seager singled to center scored Dustin Ackley and Ichiro Suzuki. Runner on first with two outs and John Jaso due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 10:47 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 9:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21