Twins rally in the 8th to beat A'sMay 28, 2012 - 10:22 PM
Justin Morneau drove in a pair of runs, while Joe Mauer had two hits and two runs scored for the Twins, who snapped a five-game losing streak.
Scott Diamond gave up three runs on nine hits with a walk and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings for Minnesota. Alex Burnett (2-0) got the final two outs of the eighth to grab the win.
"I showed up ready and willing to play," said Diamond. "It was a good day out there to play baseball and I was just glad I was able to help us in getting a win."
Colin Cowgill had three hits, while Josh Reddick hit a solo homer and a triple and scored twice for the Athletics, who have lost their past six games.
Travis Blackley pitched just five innings in the start and gave up a run on three hits. Ryan Cook (1-1) was tagged with the loss for giving up two runs in the eighth.
The Twins were trailing by a run in the eighth, but Mauer singled with one out, stole second and, after Josh Willingham walked, came home when Morneau blooped a double to shallow left that just stayed fair. Doumit followed with a sac fly for a 5-4 lead.
Matt Capps came on in the ninth to close the game and got in trouble as the A's loaded the bases with two outs, but he struck out Jonny Gomes on three pitches to pick up his 10th save of the season.
Reddick hit a solo home run in the first and Kila Ka'aihue did the same in the second to give the A's a 2-0 lead.
Minnesota got on the board in the fifth when Trevor Plouffe hit a solo home run, but the A's got it back in the sixth when Brandon Inge drove in a run on a double-play groundout.
Willingham hit an RBI double in the sixth and Morneau followed with a sac fly to tie the game.
The A's took the lead back in the eighth as Gomes and Inge drew consecutive walks and Kurt Suzuki followed with a single for a 4-3 lead.
"We put out a good effort today," said Inge. "You know, we got guys in position and we were able to get some of them home, just not all of them. We were one swing away from winning the game today."
Blackley, who was claimed off waivers from San Francisco on May 15, made his first start since Sept. 29, 2007. He made three relief appearances for the A's prior to Monday...Each team won four times in the series last season...Oakland left nine men on base and went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position...Inge had been activated off the 15-day disabled list prior to the game as he was suffering from a groin injury. The team optioned catcher Anthony Recker to Triple-A Sacramento to make room on the roster.
- OAKLAND: 4
May 28 5:35 PM
- Ryan Doumit sacrifice fly to left scored Josh Willingham with two out. Runner on second and Brian Dozier due up.
Athletics 4, Twins 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 28 5:14 PM
- Justin Morneau double to left scored Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Athletics 4, Twins 4 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 28 5:13 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to center scored Jonny Gomes with one out. On the play, Brandon Inge advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Athletics 4, Twins 3 Top 8, 1 OutMay 28 4:56 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly to left scored Joe Mauer with two out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runner on third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Athletics 3, Twins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 4:12 PM
- Josh Willingham double to left scored Darin Mastroianni with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Morneau due up.
Athletics 3, Twins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 28 4:09 PM
- Brandon Inge grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Josh Reddick. Jonny Gomes out at second. None on with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 3, Twins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 28 3:55 PM
- Alexi Casilla grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Athletics 2, Twins 1 End 5May 28 3:47 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 2, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 28 2:36 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Jonny Gomes due up.
Athletics 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 28 2:17 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 2:13 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22