Jaso lifts M's past TwinsAug 19, 2012 - 5:38 AM
Facing Tyler Robertson (1-1), Michael Saunders began the inning with a single and Brendan Ryan legged out a bunt single to move the potential winning run into scoring position.
Dustin Ackley followed with a walk to load the bases. Casey Fien came in from the Twins bullpen and Jaso lifted a fly ball to left field, which was deep enough to score Saunders from third for the winning tally.
"You feel good with him up there in those situations," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "We weren't going to mess around with him, I didn't want to put him in a situation where he had to get a hit to win the ballgame. If he could do what he did, that'd be enough and it worked out."
Tom Wilhelmsen (4-2) got the final out in the top of the ninth to collect the win.
Ackley finished with three hits and an RBI and Justin Smoak crushed a solo home run for the Mariners, who took the series-opener on Friday, 5-3.
Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer knocked in runs for the Twins, who have lost eight of their last nine games.
The Twins opened the scoring with a run in their first at-bat. Jamey Carroll began the game with a base hit and went to second on a wild pitch. Carroll then advanced to third on a groundout by Mauer and scored when Morneau ripped a single into left field.
Saunders smacked a one-out single in the Seattle third and went to third on a single by Ryan before hustling home on a single by Ackley to tie the game at one.
The Twins took the lead in the seventh after Mauer grounded into a double play which allowed Pedro Florimon to score, but Smoak tied the game for the Mariners in the home seventh after he got a fastball from Minnesota starter Scott Diamond on the 10th pitch of the at-bat and launched it over the wall in left-center field.
"It was an exciting ball game. Unfortunately, we couldn't come up with a hit," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "I don't know how many guys we left out there, quite a bit with runners in scoring position. Not very good numbers tonight."
Seattle improved to 21-13 since the All-Star break ... The Mariners have won 11 of their last 12 games at home ... Mariners starter Jason Vargas allowed two runs on eight hits and a walk with two strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings ... Diamond surrendered two runs on nine hits and no walks over 6 2/3 innings ... Minnesota finished 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Aug 19 12:34 AM
- Pinch-Hitter John Jaso sacrifice fly to left scored Michael Saunders with one out to end the game.
Twins 2, Mariners 3 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 19 12:34 AM
- Justin Smoak lead-off Home Run (14) to left center. Casper Wells due up.
Twins 2, Mariners 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 18 11:16 PM
- Joe Mauer ground ball fielder's choice, second to short scored Pedro Florimon Jr with two outs. Darin Mastroianni out at second Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 2, Mariners 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 18 11:06 PM
- Dustin Ackley singled to right scored Michael Saunders with one out. On the play, Brendan Ryan was thrown out at third. Runner on first with two outs and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Twins 1, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 9:55 PM
- Justin Morneau single to left scored Jamey Carroll with two outs. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 18 9:22 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 9:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21