Twins slip past YanksSep 26, 2012 - 4:14 AM
With the bases loaded and two outs in the deciding frame, Yankees manager Joe Girardi pulled starter Phil Hughes in favor of left-hander Boone Logan, who was unable to hold a 3-1 lead.
Joe Mauer capped the seventh -- and his three-hit night -- with an RBI single, and Glen Perkins survived Andruw Jones' pinch-hit solo homer in the ninth to close out Minnesota's third win in four contests.
The Yankees' second setback in three games, coupled with the Orioles losing to Toronto on Tuesday, keeps New York 1 1/2 games ahead of Baltimore in the division race.
Esmerling Vasquez gave up a two-run homer to Nick Swisher, but was otherwise solid in his six-inning start for the Twins, allowing just six more hits and one walk.
Casey Fien (2-1) was credited with the win despite surrendering Russell Martin's leadoff homer in the seventh, while Hughes (16-13) had a three-start winning streak halted after getting charged with four runs on six hits.
"Our guys are rising to the occasion," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "If you can't get up for (the Yankees), you can't get up for anything."
Swisher broke a scoreless game when he followed Robinson Cano's leadoff single in the fourth with his 24th homer of the year.
Mauer scored on Chris Parmelee's bloop double in the bottom half, and Martin got the run back by taking Fien's first pitch into the bullpen over the left- field wall for his career high-tying 19th home run.
But the Twins solved Hughes in the home seventh, which began with Ryan Doumit singling and Parmelee working a walk. Jamey Carroll loaded the bags with a one-out single, and Logan entered after Hughes struck out Pedro Florimon Jr.
"I was hoping (Girardi would keep me in), but I don't make those decisions," Hughes said.
With Span at the plate, Logan sent one through Martin's legs for a wild pitch, allowing Doumit to score. Span then worked the count full and found the gap in right to knock in Parmelee and Carroll with the tying and go-ahead runs, respectively.
A walk to Ben Revere preceded Mauer's RBI single to right, which wound up as the game-winner after Jones went deep in the ninth.
Perkins struck out Jayson Nix to pick up his 15th save of the year.
Mauer also threw out a pair of potential base stealers ... Swisher has homered in four of his last six games ... Martin also had 19 home runs in 2007 with the Dodgers ... Cano went 3-for-3 with a walk ... Derek Jeter went 1-for-4 to extended his hitting streak to 19.
- NEW YORK: 4
Sep 25 11:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Andruw Jones two-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 4, Twins 5 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 25 11:08 PM
- Joe Mauer single to right scored Denard Span. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Justin Morneau due up.
Yankees 3, Twins 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 25 10:35 PM
- Denard Span double to center scored Chris Parmelee and Jamey Carroll. Runner on second with two out and Ben Revere due up.
Yankees 3, Twins 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 25 10:29 PM
- Wild pitch by Boone Logan scored Ryan Doumit. Jamey Carroll advances to second on a wild pitch. Chris Parmelee advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two out and Denard Span at the plate.
Yankees 3, Twins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 25 10:27 PM
- Russell Martin lead-off Home Run (19) to left center. Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 3, Twins 1 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 25 10:01 PM
- Chris Parmelee double to left scored Joe Mauer. Runner on second with two out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Yankees 2, Twins 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 25 9:26 PM
- Curtis Granderson struck out swinging. None on with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 2, Twins 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 25 9:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 8:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22