Yanks' Nova finally falls on roadJul 4, 2012 - 5:57 AM
Sean Rodriguez belted a go-ahead two-run homer in the fourth inning for the Rays, who have won nine straight home games against the Yankees.
James Shields (8-5) tossed seven innings for Tampa Bay, allowing four runs on 10 hits. Fernando Rodney earned his 24th save of the season with a flawless ninth.
"I thought it was a good game overall. Our offense did a great job and we made some pretty good plays on defense," said Shields. "Overall, it was a pretty good win."
New York starter Ivan Nova (9-3) surrendered six runs -- three earned -- on seven hits in six-plus innings to suffer his first road loss since June 3, 2011 against the Angels. He had gone 12-0 in his previous 16 outings away from Yankee Stadium.
Down 3-0, the Rays tied the game with a three-run third. B.J. Upton singled home Elliot Johnson, who reached on a one-out base hit and stole second before Desmond Jennings walked and Carlos Pena popped out. Johnson was safe at the plate when New York catcher Russell Martin dropped the ball while trying to apply the tag.
"It was a play that if it's in my glove, I need to make that play," said Martin. "There is no excuse. I tried to put the tag down and it just got knocked out."
Jeff Keppinger followed with a two-run single up the middle.
The Yankees went back ahead in the fourth when Raul Ibanez stroked a two-out double and scored on a single by Eric Chavez.
But Tampa Bay countered in their half of the frame as Rodriguez followed a leadoff single by Jose Molina with a blast to left field.
The Rays tacked on two more runs in the seventh. With men on the corners, Jennings swiped home on a double steal. Ben Zobrist added an RBI single.
New York jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first. Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson hit consecutive doubles to begin the game, producing a run. Granderson came home on a one-out single by Robinson Cano, who was thrown out at home later in the contest.
A leadoff home run by Dewayne Wise put the visitors up by three in the third.
Rodriguez collected three hits...Nova was dealt his first loss in seven career starts versus Tampa Bay...The Rays were 4-for-14 with runners in scoring position.
- NEW YORK: 4
TAMPA BAY: 7
Jul 3 10:06 PM
- Ben Zobrist singled to right scoring B.J. Upton with two out. Runner on first and Luke Scott due up.
Yankees 4, Rays 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 3 9:35 PM
- Desmond Jennings stole home. On the play, B.J. Upton stole second and advanced to third on Russell Martin's throwing error. Runner on third and Jeff Keppinger at the plate.
Yankees 4, Rays 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 3 9:33 PM
- Sean Rodriguez none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jose Molina. Elliot Johnson due up.
Yankees 4, Rays 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 3 8:34 PM
- Eric Chavez singled to left scoring Raul Ibanez with two out. On the throw, Chavez advanced to second. Runner on second and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 4, Rays 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 3 8:25 PM
- Jeff Keppinger singled to left scoring Desmond Jennings and B.J. Upton with two out. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Yankees 3, Rays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 3 8:09 PM
- B.J. Upton singled to left scoring Elliot Johnson with two out. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Yankees 3, Rays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 3 8:07 PM
- DeWayne Wise lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 3, Rays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 3 7:50 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to right scoring Curtis Granderson with one out. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 3 7:23 PM
- Alex Rodriguez struck out looking. Runner on second with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 3 7:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21