Giants rally in 9th to top A'sJun 23, 2012 - 5:56 AM
The Giants offense, however, came alive in the top of the ninth and helped the visitors put the brakes on a six-game road losing skid at the Coliseum.
Brandon Belt smacked the game-tying two-run double, while Hector Sanchez singled home the go-ahead run in a four-run ninth as the Giants edged the Oakland Athletics, 5-4, in the opener of the three-game Bay Bridge Series.
Susceptible to big innings this season, Lincecum needed 43 pitches and allowed two walks and all three of the hits he was charged with in a three-run first. It was the ninth time this year that he's given up three-or-more runs in an inning.
The 28-year-old composed himself, though, and conceded just two free passes over his final five frames, keeping the Giants in the game until they exploded in the ninth.
Trailing 3-1 in the final inning, Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval worked back- to-back walks off of Ryan Cook (2-2) to begin the frame. They both scored when Belt sliced an opposite-field double past a diving Collin Cowgill in left, knotting the game at 3-3.
Pinch-hitter Justin Christian followed with a single to put runners on the corners with none away. Sean Doolittle replaced Cook on the mound and immediately served up the go-ahead run as Sanchez ripped a single to left, plating Belt for a 4-3 Giants edge.
After Joaquin Arias' sacrifice bunt put runners on the corners with one out, Gregor Blanco added some insurance when he whacked a single to left, bringing home Chrisian and giving the Giants a two-run cushion.
Josh Reddick cracked a one-out solo homer in the home half of the frame to cut the deficit to 5-4, but Santiago Casilla struck out Yoenis Cespedes and Jonny Gomes to seal the win and earn his 20th save of the season.
Clay Hensley (3-3) registered the final out of the eighth inning to pick up the win.
Jarrod Parker fanned four and surrendered a run on four hits and two walks over six-plus frames for the A's, who had won nine of their last 10 games coming in.
In Oakland's three-run first, Jemile Weeks slapped an RBI single up the middle, Seth Smith recorded an RBI groundout and Brandon Inge worked a bases-loaded walk to give the A's a 3-0 lead.
Blanco's RBI single in the third cut the margin to 3-1.
A's starting pitchers have allowed one run or fewer in each of their last five contests...Lincecum has walked three-or-more batters in nine of his 15 starts this year...San Francisco had lost four of its last five coming in.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Jun 23 1:43 AM
- Josh Reddick one-out, solo Home Run (16) to center. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Giants 5, Athletics 4 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 23 1:36 AM
- Gregor Blanco single to left scored Justin Christian with one out. On the play, Hector Sanchez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 5, Athletics 3 Top 9, 1 OutJun 23 1:24 AM
- Hector Sanchez single to left scored Brandon Belt with none out. On the play, Justin Christian advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 4, Athletics 3 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 23 1:20 AM
- Brandon Belt double to left scored Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval with none out. Runner on second with none out and Justin Christian due up.
Giants 3, Athletics 3 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 23 1:11 AM
- Gregor Blanco single to right, deflected by first scored Hector Sanchez with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 1, Athletics 3 Top 3, 1 OutJun 22 11:03 PM
- Brandon Inge walk scored Josh Reddick with none out. Bases loaded and Brandon Moss due up.
Giants 0, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 22 10:31 PM
- Seth Smith safe at first on a fielder's choice scored Jemile Weeks with none out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second and Josh Reddick advances to third. Bases loaded and Brandon Inge due up.
Giants 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 22 10:30 PM
- Jemile Weeks single to center scored Coco Crisp with none out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Giants 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 22 10:23 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 22 10:12 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21