A's walk off on Carter's 11th-inning blastJul 7, 2012 - 5:55 AM
In the 11th off of Oliver Perez (0-1), Josh Reddick dropped a single into shallow left to start the inning and Seth Smith later beat out a single on a grounder to third base. Steve Delabar then stepped on the mound and Carter crushed an 0-1 fastball deep into the left field stands for the win.
Thanks to Carter, Jordan Norberto (1-1) grabbed the first win of his career as he struck out the side in the top of the 11th for the Athletics, who tied their season-high with their fifth straight win. Jemile Weeks tied the game in the eighth with his RBI single.
Kyle Seager had two hits and drove in the only run of the game for the Mariners, who have lost their last three.
"We are two days away from the break and we want to find a way to get back on track," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "We've been in a rut with our bats for a while now and we need to get it done."
Neither starter factored into the decision as Kevin Millwood went seven innings for Seattle and gave up just three hits with two walks and seven strikeouts, while Tom Milone pitched seven innings for Oakland and was charged with one run on six hits with a walk and nine strikeouts.
Seattle plated a run in the first inning as Casper Wells singled with one out, Miguel Olivo added a base hit two batters later and Seager followed with a single for a 1-0 lead.
Oakland got its first runner to second base in the fourth inning when Reddick walked with one out and Smith drew a walk with two outs, but Brandon Moss struck out to end the frame.
The Mariners put men on first and second in the sixth, but it was with two outs and Justin Smoak lined out to end the frame.
The Athletics finally got a run across in the eighth inning. With Shawn Kelley on the mound, Brandon Hicks hit a one-out double. After Coco Crisp flied out, Tom Wilhelmsen took the hill and Weeks greeted him with a single to center to tie the game.
Carlos Peguero tripled with two outs in the top of the ninth, but Dustin Ackley grounded out to end the frame.
Since being called up last week, Carter has six hits in 12 at-bats, three of which are homers, and has driven in five runs in four games...Seattle has won six of the 11 games with Oakland this season...Both teams left seven men on base.
- SEATTLE: 1
Jul 7 1:26 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Carter one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Josh Reddick and Seth Smith to end the game.
Mariners 1, Athletics 4 Bot 11, 1 OutJul 7 1:26 AM
- Ryan Cook starts the inning for the Athletics. Pinch-Hitter Brandon Hicks remains in the game playing shortstop.
Mariners 1, Athletics 1 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 7 12:34 AM
- Kyle Seager single to center scored Casper Wells with two out. On the play, Miguel Olivo advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 6 10:17 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 6 10:09 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21