Rays top A's in rubber matchAug 2, 2012 - 3:06 AM
Cobb (5-8) surrendered just four hits and one walk while striking out six to snap a three-start losing skid. Fernando Rodney tossed a scoreless ninth to nail down his 31st save of the season.
Carlos Pena clubbed an RBI double and added a solo home run in the eighth to help the Rays wrap up a nine-game road trip at 6-3.
"We played very good ball clubs. We took series away from home, on the road, which is always a good sign," said Pena of his team's recent trip. "A 6-3 road trip is something that we need to be pleased about and we are."
Jarrod Parker (7-5) absorbed the loss after giving up three runs on eight hits and three walks over six frames.
"I'm not real happy with it," said Parker of his outing. "They took advantage and moved guys over and played baseball."
Brandon Inge provided the Oakland offense with a leadoff blast in the fifth as the A's lost for the third time in their last four games.
The Rays plated a run in their first at-bat as Desmond Jennings stroked a leadoff single, moved to second on a bunt and then found third on a groundout.
Matt Joyce then delivered a two-out base hit into right field to score Jennings for a 1-0 advantage.
Tampa Bay tacked on another run in the fourth as Jeff Keppinger ripped a one- out double and Ryan Roberts followed two batters later with a line drive single to left to provide the visitors with a two-run cushion.
Cobb had retired 10 straight batters before Inge got Oakland on the board in the fifth with a leadoff blast over the wall in left to bring the home team within 2-1.
The Rays responded in their next at-bat as Keppinger singled to start the frame before crossing home on Pena's double into the corner in right field.
Pena then added a one-out, solo shot in the eighth to account for the final margin.
The Rays open a six-game homestand on Friday with a three-game set against Baltimore...Oakland continues a ten-game homestand with three straight games against the Blue Jays beginning on Friday...Oakland went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left six on base...The Rays finished 3-for-12 with men in scoring position and stranded eight runners.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Aug 1 6:27 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 4, Athletics 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 1 5:56 PM
- Carlos Pena doubled to right scored Jeff Keppinger. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 3, Athletics 1 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 1 5:23 PM
- Brandon Inge lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Rays 2, Athletics 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 1 5:06 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to left scored Jeff Keppinger. Runner on first with two outs and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 2, Athletics 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 1 4:39 PM
- Jeff Keppinger grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Rays 1, Athletics 0 Mid 1Aug 1 3:45 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 1 3:39 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22