Crisp's sac fly lifts A's past Jays in 15 inningsAug 4, 2012 - 7:25 AM
Weeks led off with a triple into the right field corner off Aaron Loup (0-2) and Crisp quickly followed with a fly ball to center that easily scored Weeks.
It was the second 15-inning win of the week for the Atheltics, who took a 4-3 decision over Tampa on Monday. Travis Blackley (4-3) got the win on Friday for twirling three scoreless innings.
Regarded as one of the top pitching prospects in the Oakland organization, Dan Straily was called up on Thursday to make Friday's start and didn't disappoint as he gave up just one run on five hits and a walk while striking out five over six innings.
"Boy he settled in after throwing quite a few pitches in the first inning," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Straily's start.
Jonny Gomes and Chris Carter each hit a solo home run for the Athletics, who have taken the first two games of this set.
Jeff Mathis tied the game with a three-run home run in the ninth while Rajai Davis drove in the other run for the Blue Jays, who have lost a season-high six straight.
"I was in shock," Melvin said of the game-tying homer. "I was waiting for the ball to hit the wall and the next thing you know it went out."
Brett Cecil gave up four runs on nine hits with a walk and strikeout over five innings in the start for Toronto.
Oakland went on top in the second on an RBI single from Brandon Inge and Gomes added his 11th homer of the year in the third for a 2-0 lead.
A sac fly from Davis in the fourth got Toronto on the board, but Carter got it back in the bottom of the inning with his leadoff shot.
Josh Reddick's sac fly in the fifth scored Crisp and gave Oakland a three-run lead, but it was not enough.
Toronto had just one baserunner from the fifth through eighth innings, and Ryan Cook struck out the first two batters of the ninth. David Cooper, though, kept the inning alive with a single and Davis followed with a base hit. Mathis then clubbed a pitch over the left-center wall to tie the game.
The Blue Jays threatened in the 12th when Omaz Vizquel singled with one out and Colby Rasmus followed with a double to the corner in left. Vizquel was sent home on the play, but the A's executed the relay and got Vizquel at the plate.
Oakland has won five of the seven games against Toronto this season...Oakland left fielder Yoenis Cespedes left the game in the 11th with a sprained right wrist...Toronto left 11 men on base while Oakland stranded seven...Oakland has 13 walk-off wins this season.
- TORONTO: 4
Aug 4 2:57 AM
- Coco Crisp sacrifice fly out to center scored Jemile Weeks to end the game.
Blue Jays 4, Athletics 5 Bot 15, 1 OutAug 4 2:57 AM
- Jeff Mathis two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Pinch-Runner Moises Sierra and Rajai Davis. Anthony Gose due up.
Blue Jays 4, Athletics 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 4 12:49 AM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly to center scored Coco Crisp. On the play, Jonny Gomes was thrown out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 4 End 5Aug 3 11:45 PM
- Chris Carter lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Brandon Inge due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 3 11:21 PM
- Rajai Davis sacrifice fly to center scored Kelly Johnson. Runner on second with two outs and Jeff Mathis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 3 11:16 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to right center. Runner on first with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 3 11:01 PM
- Derek Norris grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Brandon Inge out at second. Chris Carter advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam Rosales due up.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 3 10:45 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 3 10:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21