Correia strong as Pirates top GiantsApr 16, 2012 - 3:55 AM
Correia (1-0) gave up just one run on three hits and one walk while striking out two. Joel Hanrahan struggled with his control in the ninth, but managed to turn away the Giants and record his first save of the season.
Alex Presley finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and Garrett Jones crushed a solo home run, while Neil Walker had two hits and Josh Harrison added an RBI for the Bucs, who snapped a five-game skid.
"We had lost five in a row and we had to turn it around," said Correia. "I think we've been throwing the ball pretty well. We haven't quite gotten on the board enough and today we came through with some runs."
Ryan Vogelsong (0-1) took the loss in his first start of the season after recovering from back pain that caused him to miss time during spring training. Vogelsong gave up just two runs on four hits and three walks while fanning seven in 6 1/3 innings.
"He threw great. He did a great job in his first time out," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said about Vogelsong.
Emmanuel Burriss knocked in the only run of the game for the Giants, who had a three-game winning streak halted.
To make matters worse for San Francisco, the team placed star closer Brian Wilson on the 15-day DL with a right elbow sprain.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced on Saturday that the hard-throwing righty likely has structural damage in the elbow and would consult orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, but he will likely require season-ending Tommy John surgery.
The Pirates opened the scoring with a pair of runs in the second inning. Jones led off the frame by blasting a fastball from Vogelsong over the wall in right-center field. Walker followed with a single into left, moved to second on a single by Clint Barmes and Michael McKenry drew a free pass to load the bases. After Correia popped out, Presley beat out an infield single, allowing Walker to score.
San Francisco finally cracked the scoreboard in the fifth when Brandon Belt ripped a double to right to begin the inning, moved to third on a groundout by Brandon Crawford, then came home on a groundout by Burriss to cut the Pirates' lead in half.
Pittsburgh extended its lead to 4-1 in the eighth. Andrew McCutchen ripped a single to left to start things and McGehee followed with a single to put the first two men on base. Jeremy Affeldt was then summoned from the bullpen and the first batter he faced -- Walker -- laid down a sacrifice bunt, but Pablo Sandoval threw the ball away, allowing McCutchen to score. Harrison, as a pinch-hitter, then put down a bunt which allowed McGehee to score.
San Francisco stranded two runners in the eighth and the ninth.
Including his two appearances this season, Wilson has recorded 171 saves and a 3.21 earned run average in 315 appearances over his seven professional seasons...Pittsburgh went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine, while San Francisco was 0-for-11 with RISP and left nine on base...The Giants will host Philadelphia for three games starting on Monday, while Pittsburgh will open a three-game set against the Diamondbacks also on Monday.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Apr 15 7:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Harrison sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Casey McGehee. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 4, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 15 6:38 PM
- Neil Walker sacrificed, reached first on Pablo Sandoval's throwing error scored Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to home. Runners on first and third with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 1 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 15 6:36 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss grounded out short to first scored Brandon Belt. None on with two outs and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 15 5:33 PM
- Alex Presley infield single to first scored Neil Walker. On the play, Michael McKenry advances to second and Clint Barmes advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 4:34 PM
- Garrett Jones lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 15 4:21 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 4:08 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21