Pirates rally to edge MetsMay 22, 2012 - 4:17 AM
Michael McKenry hit a game-tying two-run homer in the seventh and Jared Hughes (1-0) stranded a pair of the top of the eighth to earn the win. Joel Hanrahan picked up his 10th save of the season while starter Erik Bedard allowed four runs on six hits over five innings.
"4-0 down with (Johan) Santana on the mound? That's not the way I drew it up driving to the park today," remarked Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "But the boys were able to chip away."
The Mets scored all of their runs in the second inning, which was highlighted by a two-run single from Justin Turner. David Wright improved his average to .415 with a pair of hits.
Jon Rauch (3-3) gave up the sac fly to Barmes to take the loss and Santana allowed four runs over 6 1/3 innings.
Rauch was not charged with the deciding run. He induced leadoff batter Neil Walker into a catchable fly but left fielder Mike Baxter and center fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis simultaneously converged on the ball. They did not collide, but the ball glanced off Nieuwenhuis' glove and rolled to the wall, allowing Walker to reach third base. He crossed the plate, narrowly sliding in ahead of the tag, when Barmes lifted a shallow fly to right.
In the second inning, Vinny Rottino singled and scored on Ronny Cedeno's double to center. Walks to Mike Nickeas and Andres Torres loaded the bases with two down and Turner delivered a two-run single through the left side. Wright followed with an RBI base hit to right field.
"This was the third or fourth game now where we've scored three or four in an inning, and we look up later and that's all we've got," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "We've got to add on, it would make it a lot easier for our pitching staff."
It was 4-2 in the fourth inning courtesy of back-to-back-to-back doubles by Josh Harrison, Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez. The Pirates left the bases loaded in the inning, but tied the game in the seventh when Barmes led off with a base hit and McKenry followed with a homer to left.
Hanrahan faced the minimum in the ninth inning...McKenry hit his third home run of the season...Santana saw his streak of five straight quality starts come to an end...The Mets were 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- NEW YORK: 4
May 21 10:06 PM
- Clint Barmes sacrifice fly out to right scored Neil Walker. None on with two outs and Michael McKenry due up.
Mets 4, Pirates 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 21 9:57 PM
- Yamaico Navarro is pinch-hitting for Tony Watson.
Mets 4, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 21 9:18 PM
- Pedro Alvarez doubled to right scoring Andrew McCutchen. Runner on second with none out and Neil Walker due up.
Mets 4, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 21 8:18 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to left scoring Josh Harrison. Runner on second with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Mets 4, Pirates 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 21 8:16 PM
- David Wright singled to right scoring Andres Torres. On the play, Justin Turner advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 4, Pirates 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 21 7:41 PM
- Justin Turner singled to left scoring Ronny Cedeno and Mike Nickeas. On the play, Andres Torres advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 3, Pirates 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 21 7:39 PM
- Ronny Cedeno doubled to right center scoring Vinny Rottino. Runner on second with one out and Mike Nickeas due up.
Mets 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 21 7:30 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 7:06 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21