Marquis, Padres blank PiratesAug 12, 2012 - 4:10 AM
Just like that, Marquis' no-hit bid was over.
He gave up another hit in the eighth, but still went the distance to notch his fifth career shutout, helping the San Diego Padres win their 11th straight game over the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park with a 5-0 triumph in the middle test of a three-game set.
Marquis (6-6), who has won five of his last six decisions, struck out four and walked one.
"It's a battle every time I step on the mound," said Marquis. "This team is real aggressive and if you make those pitches early you are able to get quick outs."
Chase Headley hit a solo homer and drove in three, while Will Venable added two hits, on of which was a solo shot, and two runs scored for the Padres, who have won six straight games.
A.J. Burnett (14-4) suffered his first home defeat this season, allowing five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits and two walks with 10 strikeouts for Pittsburgh, which has dropped three straight and four of its last five contests. Burnett was 7-0 with a 2.00 ERA in 10 home starts coming in.
"Fastball command wasn't there...he made some mistakes over the middle of the plate," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle.
The Padres jumped out to a 5-0 lead after plating a run in the first, third and fourth before adding two in the sixth.
Headley launched a two-out solo shot to dead center in the first and added an RBI groundout in the third.
Cameron Maybin ripped an RBI single to left in the fourth, while Venable's leadoff homer to center and Headley's bases-loaded walk in the sixth gave San Diego its five-run advantage.
San Diego has outscored Pittsburgh, 86-33, at PNC Park during its winning streak...Burnett was attempting to become the Pirates' first 15-game winner since Todd Ritchie went 15-9 in 1999.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Aug 11 9:39 PM
- Jared Hughes enters the game for the Pirates with the bases loaded and two out, batting 7th.
Padres 5, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 11 8:44 PM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 4, Pirates 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 11 8:31 PM
- John Baker struck out swinging. Runner on second with one out and Jason Marquis due up.
Padres 3, Pirates 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 11 8:03 PM
- Carlos Quentin flied out to center. None on with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Pirates 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 11 7:47 PM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (18) to right center. Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 11 7:08 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21