Lincecum, Giants edge PadresApr 29, 2012 - 5:47 AM
Lincecum (2-2) surrendered three infield singles and issued four walks while striking out five. Santiago Casilla pitched a scoreless ninth to record his third save of the year and help the Giants earn their second win in three tries.
"I was just able to get outs and get out of some tough situations," said Lincecum. "I'm not happy with the walks, but I feel like I'm getting better with each start."
Lincecum's counterpart, Anthony Bass, carried a perfect game into the sixth inning before Lincecum slapped an infield single to break up the no-hit bid, while Brandon Belt knocked in both of the Giants' runs.
Bass (1-3) allowed two runs on six hits over eight innings while fanning eight. Nick Hundley accounted for the only Padres run with a sacrifice fly in the third inning as San Diego had its two-game win streak snapped.
"He pitched his tail off and it was a great game," said San Diego manager Bud Black about Bass. "He pitched an outstanding game against a guy who was pitching well on the other side. It was a great pitching duel."
The Padres struck first in the third inning without registering a hit as two walks around a throwing error loaded the bases before Hundley plated Will Venable with a sacrifice fly to left field.
Bass cruised until Lincecum's hit in the sixth and ran into trouble in the seventh as Melky Cabrera started the inning with a double. The 24-year-old righty retired the next two Giants before Nate Schierholtz singled to put runners on the corners.
After a meeting at the mound, Belt launched a double into center field, plating both Cabrera and Schierholtz to take a 2-1 lead.
The Padres today placed outfielder Jeremy Hermida on the 15-day DL with a strained right adductor and recalled outfielder Blake Tekotte from Triple-A Tucson...Orlando Hudson's 0-for-4 performance snapped his 10-game hitting streak...Pablo Sandoval had his 20-game hit streak halted with an 0-for-4 performance as well.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Apr 28 11:27 PM
- Brandon Crawford reached first on Yonder Alonso's fielding error. On the play, Brandon Belt out at home to end the inning.
Padres 1, Giants 2 End 7Apr 28 10:56 PM
- Yonder Alonso flied out to right to end the inning.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Mid 3Apr 28 9:47 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 9:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21