Marquis solid as Padres top MetsAug 6, 2012 - 12:35 AM
Marquis (5-6) was charged for three runs, but allowed just four hits and one walk with five strikeouts to earn his fourth victory in his last five starts.
"I got some quick outs, defense made some good plays and (we) put some runs on early and made it a little easier," said Marquis.
Yonder Alonso and Chase Headley each belted two-run homers, while Carlos Quentin added a solo shot for the Padres, who have won seven of their last nine home games.
Rookie Matt Harvey (1-2) was shelled for five runs on eight hits over five frames. Ronny Cedeno hit a pinch-hit, two-run homer in the setback, as the Mets wrapped up a season-high 11-game road trip at 6-5.
"It was one of those days where I couldn't find the strike zone and when I did it wasn't quality," said Harvey. "Just one of those days."
The Padres jumped in front in their first at-bat, as Everth Cabrera clubbed a one-out double and Headley followed with a two-run blast over the wall in right field to give the home team an early 2-0 lead.
San Diego added three more in the third, all with two outs. Headley kept the inning alive with a two-out walk and Quentin followed with a double to right to plate Headley.
Alonso then crushed a fastball over the wall in straightaway center field to give the Padres a 5-0 lead.
The Mets finally broke through in the sixth as Mike Baxter walked to start the frame and pinch-hitter Cedeno followed two batters later with a two-run blast to left to trim the margin to 5-2.
New York inched closer in the seventh on a sacrifice fly from Jason Bay, but Quentin crushed a two-out fastball in the bottom half to restore San Diego's three-run advantage.
San Diego added a two-out insurance run in the eighth when Josh Baker singled to keep the inning alive and Mark Kotsay followed with a pinch-hit double into the right-field corner to plate Baker for a 7-3 lead.
Huston Street then tossed a perfect ninth to record his 19th consecutive scoreless appearance and nail down the series victory for the Padres.
Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada extended his hit-streak to 11 games with a single in the first inning...Marquis improved to 7-7 in 26 career games (19 starts) against the Mets...The Mets head home for a six-game stay beginning with a three-game set on Tuesday versus Miami...Street hasn't allowed a run since June 17 at Oakland, spanning 18 1/3 innings.
- NEW YORK: 3
SAN DIEGO: 7
Aug 5 6:36 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay double to right scored John Baker. Mark Kotsay advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third with two outs and Alexi Amarista due up.
Mets 3, Padres 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 5 6:23 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Yonder Alonso due up.
Mets 3, Padres 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 5 6:04 PM
- Jason Bay sacrifice fly to center scored Ike Davis. None on with two outs and Mike Baxter due up.
Mets 3, Padres 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 5 5:54 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ronny Cedeno one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Mike Baxter. Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 2, Padres 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 5 5:31 PM
- Yonder Alonso two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Carlos Quentin. Will Venable due up.
Mets 0, Padres 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 5 4:55 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to right center scored Chase Headley. Runner on second with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Mets 0, Padres 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 5 4:52 PM
- Chase Headley one-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right scored Everth Cabrera. Carlos Quentin due up.
Mets 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 5 4:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 4:08 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22