Padres edge GiantsSep 24, 2012 - 3:06 AM
The Padres, after dropping the first two games to the NL West- leading Giants, got strong pitching from left-hander Eric Stults (7-3), who threw 92 pitches over six innings. Stults gave up two runs on seven hits, while striking out three and walking one.
"When you lose the first two, you'd really like to salvage that last one," Padres manager Bud Black said. "We've done that twice on this road trip."
Giants starter Yusmeiro Petit, on the other hand, lasted only 4 2/3 innings before being pulled in the fifth after loading the bases. He was tagged for two runs on seven hits, walking four and striking out one, but came away with a no-decision.
Reliever Clay Hensley (4-4) came away with the loss for San Francisco, giving up two runs on two hits and two walks in just 1/3 an inning.
Everth Cabrera helped San Diego's cause, going 4-for-4 with two runs and two stolen bases, and Logan Forsythe also scored twice for the Padres.
Mark Kotsay had a pinch-hit homer in the seventh, and Yasmani Grandal added an RBI for San Diego.
Buster Posey, Xavier Nady, Eli Whiteside and Emmanuel Burriss each had an RBI for the Giants.
"I had a pretty good bench to work with," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said, who had Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Buster Posey, Angel Pagan, Pablo Sandoval and Hunter Pence on his bench before installing them later in the game. The Giants clinched the NL West on Saturday.
San Diego took an early 1-0 lead in the second, when Alexi Amarista, who walked earlier in the inning, scored on a throwing error by Ryan Theriot, who was fielding a sacrifice bunt from Stults.
After San Francisco went ahead in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI double from Theriot and a sac fly from Whiteside, Grandal got the Padres back to even in the fifth.
With Forsythe and Chase Headley at first and second, Grandal hit a two-out single to center field that brought Forsythe home, evening the score at 2-2 after five.
But with the bases loaded in the top of the seventh, and the score still knotted, Alonso hit a 1-0 changeup from Hensley softly back to center field, bringing Cabrera and Forsythe home to score the go-ahead runs.
The Giants responded in the bottom half of the frame, climbing within one run when Burriss hit into a fielder's choice to score Franciso Peguero from third.
But Kotsay, pinch-hitting for reliever Dale Thayer, immediately put San Diego back out front, crushing a solo shot to center field with two outs. After Cabrera walked and stole second, he also tried to swipe third, and scored another insurance run when catcher Hector Sanchez shorthopped his throw past third base and into left field.
In the ninth, Padres closer Huston Street allowed a walk and a single before Buster Posey, pinch-hitting in place of Gregor Blanco, hit into a fielder's choice with two outs to bring the fourth run home for San Francisco.
But Street didn't let the run phase him, getting his 22nd save of the year when Theriot lined out to center field to end the game.
In taking the loss, the Giants had a six-game winning streak broken...Since the All Star break, the Giants are now 43-24.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Sep 23 7:31 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Buster Posey grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored pinch-runner Brandon Crawford with two out. Hector Sanchez out at second. Hunter Pence advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Theriot due up.
Padres 6, Giants 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 23 7:30 PM
- Everth Cabrera stole third. On the play, Everth Cabrera scored on Hector Sanchez throwing error with two out. None on and Logan Forsythe at the plate.
Padres 6, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 6:51 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay two-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 5, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 6:45 PM
- Hector Sanchez flied out to center. On the play, Emmanuel Burriss advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Gregor Blanco due up.
Padres 4, Giants 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 23 6:40 PM
- Chris Denorfia is pinch-hitting for Will Venable.
Padres 4, Giants 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 23 6:24 PM
- Yasmani Grandal single to center scored Logan Forsythe with two out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Giants 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 23 5:37 PM
- Eli Whiteside sacrifice fly to center scored Xavier Nady with two out. On the play, Brett Pill advances to third. Runners on first and third and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Padres 1, Giants 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 23 5:18 PM
- Brett Pill walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Francisco Peguero due up.
Padres 1, Giants 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 23 5:13 PM
- Eric Stults sacrifice bunt to third. On the play, Alexi Amarista scored on Ryan Theriot's throwing error with two out. None on and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 23 4:33 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 4:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21