Headley guides Padres over GiantsSep 30, 2012 - 7:02 AM
Jesus Guzman added a solo home run and an RBI double for the Padres, who halted a three-game slide.
Eric Stults (8-3) allowed six hits -- including Hunter Pence's three-run homer in the first -- with three walks and five strikeouts over six innings in the win.
"I think any time you let the other team know that you're rattled or flustered, they kind of feed off that," Stults said. "So after giving up three in the first, I was just trying to take it one hitter at a time and work as deep as I could."
Buster Posey had a pair of hits for the Giants, who have already clinched the NL West title. They are currently four games behind the Washington Nationals for the best record in the NL.
Madison Bumgarner (16-11) lasted just four innings and gave up five runs -- four earned -- in the loss.
"He was a little off and it effected his command. He was battling himself out there," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said about Bumgarner. "He was out of synch out there at times and he had trouble getting the ball where he wanted."
Pence followed a walk by Pablo Sandoval and a Posey single with a two-out blast in the first, but he grounded into a fielder's choice with the bases loaded to end the fifth.
Chris Denorfia started the home first with a triple and Logan Forsythe drew a walk before Headley pushed across a run with a fielder's choice groundout.
Headley then stole second base, moved to third on an error by Marco Scutaro and crossed the plate on Yasmani Grandal's sacrifice fly.
The third baseman then put the Padres on top for good in the third when he followed Denorfia's leadoff single with his 30th homer of the season. Guzman belted a solo shot later in the frame for a 5-3 lead.
Grandal added an RBI single off Brad Penny in the fifth and Guzman sealed the final result with a run-scoring double later in the inning.
The rubber match of this three-game series is set for Sunday.
Stults has won seven of his last eight decisions. He improved to 4-2 in 11 career games -- nine starts -- against the Giants ... San Francisco went 1- for-4 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 7
Sep 29 11:25 PM
- Jesus Guzman double to right scored Chase Headley. On the play, Yasmani Grandal advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Giants 3, Padres 7 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 29 10:34 PM
- Yasmani Grandal single to left scored Logan Forsythe. On the play, Chase Headley advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jesus Guzman due up.
Giants 3, Padres 6 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 29 10:31 PM
- Jesus Guzman two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Yonder Alonso due up.
Giants 3, Padres 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 29 9:46 PM
- Chase Headley one-out, two-run Home Run (30) to center scored Chris Denorfia. Yasmani Grandal due up.
Giants 3, Padres 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 29 9:42 PM
- Yasmani Grandal sacrifice fly to right scored Chase Headley. None on with two out and Jesus Guzman due up.
Giants 3, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 29 9:05 PM
- Chase Headley ground into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Chris Denorfia. Logan Forsythe out at second. Runner on first with one out and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Giants 3, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 29 9:01 PM
- Hunter Pence two-out, three-run Home Run (23) to left scored Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey. Xavier Nady due up.
Giants 3, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 29 8:49 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 8:39 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21