Rays outlast Mariners in 12thMay 1, 2012 - 6:09 AM
In the 12th, Brandon League (0-2) issued a one-out walk to Ben Zobrist and Carlos Pena followed with a sharp single to right field. Johnson came up next and his looper to left field plated Zobrist, who just slid in safely after a strong throw from Chone Figgins in left field.
Longoria left the contest with an apparent knee injury following an awkward slide into second base. He walked off the field under his own power.
J.P. Howell (1-0) picked up the win with a scoreless top of the 12th.
Jesus Montero and Miguel Olivo smacked solo homers to account for Seattle's two runs.
The Mariners struck first in the second inning on Olivo's solo homer to left field.
But the Rays had the answer in the bottom half of the frame. Brandon Allen worked a one-out walk, advanced to third on B.J. Upton's double and came home on Sean Rodriguez's single through the hole on the right side, knotting the score at 1-1.
"Those guys can hit," said Seattle starter Felix Hernandez.
The Mariners had a chance to go ahead in the ninth as they had runners on the corners with one out. But Fernando Rodney fielded Michael Saunders' squeeze- bunt attempt and his underhand flip to home nabbed Munenori Kawasaki at the plate.
Montero's solo homer over the wall in right-center field put Seattle on top in the 11th, 2-1.
The Rays, though, tied the contest at 2-2 in the bottom half. Luke Scott led off with a double. Jeff Keppinger came on yo pinch run and moved to third on Matt Joyce's sacrifice fly to center field. Two batters later, Upton's soft single into right field plated Keppinger.
"They get on top, but we keep battling back. There's no quit in the group," said Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon.
Hernandez fanned nine and allowed one run on five hits and four walks in eight innings for Seattle, while Jeremy Hellickson struck out seven and gave up one run on six hits in seven frames for Tampa Bay...The Rays signed outfielder/designated hitter Hideki Matsui to a minor-league contract on Monday.
- SEATTLE: 2
TAMPA BAY: 3
Apr 30 10:55 PM
- Elliot Johnson single to left scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to second with one out to end the game.
Mariners 2, Rays 3 Bot 12, 1 OutApr 30 10:54 PM
- B.J. Upton single to right scored Jeff Keppinger. Runner on first with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Mariners 2, Rays 2 Bot 11, 2 OutsApr 30 10:32 PM
- Jesus Montero lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Mariners 2, Rays 1 Top 11, 0 OutsApr 30 10:20 PM
- Sean Rodriguez single to left scored Brandon Allen. On the play, B.J. Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jose Molina due up.
Mariners 1, Rays 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 30 7:42 PM
- Miguel Olivo one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 30 7:32 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21