Harrison, Andrus help Rangers top M'sMay 23, 2012 - 7:03 AM
Harrison (5-3) scattered seven hits and walked two while fanning six and Joe Nathan fired a perfect ninth for his 10th save of the season.
Josh Hamilton added a run-scoring double in the Rangers three-run third inning as Texas improved to 4-2 against the Mariners this season.
"We got four hits and we made them all count," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "Sometimes you gotta win ball games like that."
Hector Noesi (2-5) went eight innings in the loss, surrendering three runs on three hits and two walks while striking out seven. Justin Smoak knocked in the lone Seattle run as the Mariners failed to earn a season-high fifth straight victory.
The Mariners got on the board in the first as Alex Liddi worked a one-out walk and moved to third on a single from Ichiro Suzuki. After Jesus Montero fanned, Smoak singled to left, scoring Liddi from third for a 1-0 advantage.
Texas jumped in front for good with a three-run third inning as Nelson Cruz and Mitch Moreland each walked around a strikeout from Mike Napoli.
After Ian Kinsler popped out for the second out, Andrus scorched a triple into the gap in left-center field to plate two before Hamilton made it a three-run game with a ground-rule double that a fan interfered with down the left-field line.
"He hung a breaking ball to Andrus and that was it," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge about Noesi's outing. "Other than that he was outstanding today. He did a great job against that lineup and gave us every opportunity to win the ballgame."
Seattle put the first two runners on in the eighth to chase Harrison from the game, but Mike Adams entered and got Montero to fly out before fanning Smoak and Kyle Seager to end the threat.
Harrison improved to 7-1 in 14 games (10 starts) against the Mariners...The Rangers did not homer in the game, which snapped a streak of 15 straight games with a home run...Texas went 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left three on base...The Mariners went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position while stranding eight.
- TEXAS: 3
May 23 12:39 AM
- Josh Hamilton ground-rule double to left scored Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 22 11:00 PM
- Elvis Andrus triple to center scored Nelson Cruz and Mitch Moreland with two out. Runner on third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 22 10:58 PM
- Justin Smoak single to left scored Alex Liddi with two out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kyle Seager due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 22 10:27 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 10:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21