Dickey baffles Rays, sets Mets recordJun 14, 2012 - 2:56 AM
Dickey (10-1) set a Mets franchise-record for consecutive scoreless innings with 32 2/3 blank frames before the Rays plated a run in the ninth thanks to an error and pair of passed balls. Jerry Koosman set the previous record of 31 2/3 scoreless frames back in 1973.
The knuckleballer didn't allow a walk and the only hit he surrendered was B.J. Upton's infield single with two outs in the first. Dickey became the first pitcher in the majors to reach the 10-win plateau.
"We were two plays from a perfect game," said Mets manager Terry Collins. "I've seen a lot of games, but I've never seen a perfecto."
Daniel Murphy, David Wright and Omar Quintanilla each knocked in a pair of runs for the Mets, who go for the series sweep in Thursday's finale.
David Price (8-4) absorbed the loss after giving up seven runs on nine hits and three walks with eight strikeouts over five-plus innings. The Rays have now lost six of their last eight games at the Trop.
Ike Davis provided the first extra-base hit of the game with a one-out double in the fifth before Mike Nickeas plated the game's first run with a liner into center, scoring Davis from second and giving the Mets a 1-0 lead.
Andres Torres stroked a double into the left-field corner two batters later and Murphy followed with a single through the right side of the infield to score Nickeas and Torres as the Mets pushed the lead to 3-0.
New York added to its lead in the sixth as Scott Hairston and Jason Bay smacked consecutive singles to start the frame before Vinny Rottino clubbed a double into the right-field corner to plate Hairston from second.
Davis then bounced a single over Carlos Pena's glove at first, allowing Bay to score and marking the end of Price's day.
An infield single from Nickeas then loaded the bases before Quintanilla plated a pair with a liner into center to extend the margin to 7-0.
In the ninth, back-to-back doubles from Murphy and Wright pushed the lead to 9-0 as Wright plated Murphy and Torres, who reached on a leadoff single.
Dickey had retired 22 straight Rays before Wright misplayed Elliot Johnson's grounder to third to start the ninth. Johnson moved to third on a pair of passed balls before scoring on a Desmond Jennings groundout to snap Dickey's scoreless innings streak.
"That was an unbelievable pitching performance," admitted Pena about Dickey's outing. "I tip my hat. That was outstanding and very tough to hit."
Dickey hasn't lost a game since April 18. He has struck out eight-plus batters in each of his last six starts...Price dropped to 4-2 in five starts at the Trop...The Mets went 7-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
- NEW YORK: 9
TAMPA BAY: 1
Jun 13 9:47 PM
- Jason Bay grounded out short to first. Runner on second with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 9, Rays 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 13 9:39 PM
- Daniel Murphy grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Mets 7, Rays 0 Mid 6Jun 13 8:54 PM
- Burke Badenhop enters the game for the Rays with runners on first and third and none out.
Mets 5, Rays 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 13 8:47 PM
- Vinny Rottino doubled to right scoring Scott Hairston. On the play, Jason Bay advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 4, Rays 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 13 8:44 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to right scoring Mike Nickeas and Andres Torres. Runner on first with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 3, Rays 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 13 8:30 PM
- Mike Nickeas singled to center scoring Ike Davis. Runner on first with one out and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 1, Rays 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 13 8:25 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21