Tribe blank RaysApr 8, 2013 - 12:11 AM
The Indians, after getting shut out in the first two games of the set, came alive with 17 hits -- five via the long ball. Lonnie Chisenhall belted a three-run homer and Michael Bourn added a solo shot in the rout.
Price (0-1) came in unbeaten against the Tribe, but was touched for eight runs on 10 hits and three walks over five innings. The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner had allowed just seven earned runs and 22 hits in six previous starts against them.
"I don't really have a positive from today," Price said. "They put it to us, and it was very rough."
His counterpart, Justin Masterson, had little success against the Rays coming in, having gone 1-7 with a 7.74 ERA in 13 career meetings. But Sunday saw Masterson (2-0) toss seven innings of two-hit ball with eight strikeouts and three walks.
Drew Stubbs' RBI single in the second ended Cleveland's 20-inning scoreless drought, and walks to Asdrubal Cabrera and Ryan Raburn preceded Reynolds taking Price deep over the center-field wall in the third.
Santana added an RBI double passed a diving Evan Longoria in the fifth, and Chisenhall turned on an inside fastball and launched it into the right-field seats for a three-run blast later in the frame.
In the seventh, Reynolds led off with his fourth home run of the young season -- a towering fly down to left field that caromed off the upper deck facade -- and Santana doubled in front of Mike Aviles' RBI single.
Bourn homered off Brandon Gomes to open the eighth, and Santana wrapped up his big game in the ninth with a line drive, two-run homer down the right-field line.
"They were just crushing balls," Masterson said of Cleveland's offense. "It was pretty cool to see."
The Indians play their home opener on Monday against the Yankees ... Tampa Bay hits the road for the first time with a three-game series against the Rangers ... The Rays have not committed an error yet this year -- the longest streak in club history to begin a season ... Ben Zobrist had two of Tampa Bay's four hits.
- CLEVELAND: 13
TAMPA BAY: 0
Apr 7 4:26 PM
- Carlos Santana none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Mark Reynolds. Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 13, Rays 0 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 7 4:08 PM
- Michael Bourn lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 11, Rays 0 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 7 3:46 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to left scored Carlos Santana. Runner on first with none out and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 10, Rays 0 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 7 3:40 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead off Home Run 2 (4) to left. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 9, Rays 0 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 7 3:40 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Carlos Santana and Mike Aviles. Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 8, Rays 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 7 3:07 PM
- Carlos Santana doubled to left scored Ryan Raburn. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 5, Rays 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 7 3:02 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera and Ryan Raburn. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 4, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 7 2:32 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to right scored Mike Aviles. On the play, Lonnie Chisenhall advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael Bourn due up.
Indians 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 7 2:10 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 1:41 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21