Yankees bludgeon IndiansApr 10, 2013 - 5:22 AM
Kevin Youkilis and Brennan Boesch added two-run shots, while Ichiro Suzuki and Lyle Overbay posted solo homers for the Yankees, who have won the first two in the set and three straight overall.
Andy Pettitte (2-0) yielded five hits and one run over seven strong innings, upping his record to 3-0 in his last five starts against the Tribe.
Asdrubal Cabrera homered and Nick Swisher posted two hits for the Indians, who have lost five of six.
In his first start since recovering from Tommy John surgery, Carlos Carrasco (0-1) lasted 3 2/3 innings, yielding seven hits and seven runs before being ejected for hitting Kevin Youkilis.
"The left-handers gave (Carrasco) a tough time," Indians manager Terry Francona said.
Carrasco hadn't taken the mound since a loss at Boston on Aug. 3, 2011, and the rust showed early against a potent New York attack which struck for 11 runs in Monday's series opener.
The Yanks picked up four runs in their second turn at the plate, all coming with two outs, as Brett Gardner's two-run single with the bases loaded preceded a two-run double by Cano.
Suzuki's two-out solo shot in the third made it 5-0 for New York, and in the fourth a Gardner walk preceded a two-run blast from Cano for a seven-run spread.
Immediately following that homer, Carrasco became unglued, throwing near Youkilis until eventually drilling him and drawing the ire of home plate umpire Jordan Baker.
Youkilis added a two-run homer in the sixth and the Yanks were ahead by nine, then Cabrera finally answered for the hosts in the bottom half with his leadoff homer.
Overbay added his first home run of the season to start the eighth, and later in the frame Cano knocked in Francisco Cervelli with a double and Boesch added a pinch-hit, two-run shot for a 13-1 score.
Cervelli's ninth-inning single plated Overbay and capped the rout.
"We're giving our pitchers early run support and tacking on," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "It's fun to watch."
The Yankees have won seven of the last eight meetings with Cleveland since the start of last season ... Prior to the game, the Tribe placed catcher Lou Marson on the 15-day disabled list and recalled first baseman Yan Gomes from Triple-A Columbus ... New York hadn't recorded back-to-back games of 10-or- more runs since scoring 12 in consecutive victories against the Texas Rangers on Jun. 14-15, 2011 ... Brett Myers spelled Carrasco, finishing the game charged with 11 hits and seven runs in 5 1/3 frames.
- NEW YORK: 14
Apr 9 9:53 PM
- Francisco Cervelli single to center scored Lyle Overbay with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 14, Indians 1 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 9 9:43 PM
- Travis Hafner two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Robinson Cano. Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 13, Indians 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 9 9:26 PM
- Robinson Cano double to right scored Francisco Cervelli with one out. Runner on second with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 11, Indians 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 9 9:24 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Francisco Cervelli due up.
Yankees 10, Indians 1 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 9 9:18 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead-off Home Run (2) to left center. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 9, Indians 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 9 8:56 PM
- Kevin Youkilis two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Brett Gardner. Travis Hafner due up.
Yankees 9, Indians 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 9 8:51 PM
- Robinson Cano two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Brett Gardner. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 7, Indians 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 9 8:12 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 5, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 9 7:51 PM
- Robinson Cano double to center scored Francisco Cervelli and Brett Gardner with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 4, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 9 7:38 PM
- Brett Gardner single to center scored Eduardo Nunez and Lyle Overbay with two out. On the play, Francisco Cervelli advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 9 7:34 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21