A's score five in seventh to top AngelsApr 10, 2013 - 6:37 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - John Jaso and Brandon Moss both homered in the seventh inning to lead the Oakland Athletics to a 9-5 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Tuesday.
Jaso clubbed a three-run shot and Moss, who went 3-for-4 with four RBI, belted a two-run blast as part of a five-run seventh for Oakland.
Coco Crisp had a solo homer and Derek Norris added an RBI for the A's, who have won six straight.
Ryan Cook (1-0) earned the win after giving up just one hit over 1 2/3 innings in relief. Oakland starter Jarrod Parker was tagged for two runs on nine hits and three walks over 3 1/2 innings.
Howie Kendrick went 3-for-4 with an RBI triple and Mark Trumbo drove in one run and scored twice for the Angels, who also got one RBI apiece from Josh Hamilton, Brendan Harris and Alberto Callaspo. With the loss, LA dropped to 2-5 this season.
Kevin Jepsen (0-1) was charged with the loss after allowing four runs on three hits over one-third of an inning. Starter C.J. Wilson allowed four runs on six hits while striking out seven over six innings.
"We felt that he could get us out of the seventh inning, but it went the other way," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Oakland wasted no time, plating three runs in the first inning. Jed Lowrie and Yoenis Cespedes both walked before Norris ripped a single to left-center to score Lowrie. Josh Donaldson followed with a base hit to load the bases and Moss smoked a single to right-center field to plate both Cespedes and Norris.
Crisp opened the second with a homer to give the A's a 4-0 edge.
The Angels got on the board with a pair of runs in the third. Eric Aybar opened the inning with a base hit but was replace on the bases by Harris after suffering an apparent injury to his left leg.
Harris moved to second on an Albert Pujols single and took third following Hamilton's double play flyout. Trumbo followed with a single to center before coming around an Callaspo's base hit up the middle.
LA added three runs in the sixth to take a 5-4 lead. Mike Trout hit a leadoff triple then scored on Harris' sacrifice fly. Harris, who reached because of a fielding error on his sacrifice, moved to third on a Lowrie fielding error on the next play and came around on Hamilton's sacrifice fly to right field.
Trumbo reached on a fielder's choice one batter later then scored when Kendrick ripped a triple to right field.
Oakland responded with five runs in the seventh. Crisp welcomed reliever Scott Downs with an infield single and stole second base with two outs. Following a Cespedes walk to put two runners on, Jaso crushed a pinch-hit homer over the wall in left.
"A crazy game right out of the gates," said Jaso. "I Was able to connect and just hoping it would go out. When I saw it hit the top of the fence and bounce over, I knew I just got enough of it."
Donaldson followed with a base hit and Moss laced a two-run homer that bounced off the top of the wall into the stands for a 9-5 lead.
The Angels put two runners on in the ninth inning, but Grant Balfour was able to get out of the jam to preserve the win.
Oakland was 4-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Cespedes went 2-for-3 and scored twice ... The Angels were 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 13 runners on base.
- OAKLAND: 9
LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 10 1:55 AM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Josh Donaldson. Nate Freiman due up.
Athletics 9, Angels 5 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 10 1:07 AM
- Pinch-Hitter John Jaso two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Coco Crisp and Yoenis Cespedes. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 7, Angels 5 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 10 1:03 AM
- Howie Kendrick triple to right scored Mark Trumbo with two outs. Runner on third and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 10 12:41 AM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly to center scored Brendan Harris with one out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 10 12:33 AM
- Brendan Harris sacrificed to right, and reached first on Chris Young's missed catch error, scoring Mike Trout with none out. Runner on second and Albert Pujols due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 10 12:29 AM
- Alberto Callaspo single to center scored Mark Trumbo with two outs. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Iannetta due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 9 11:25 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to left center scored Brendan Harris with two outs. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 9 11:22 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Chris Young due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 9 10:48 PM
- Brandon Moss single to right scored Yoenis Cespedes and Derek Norris with two outs. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nate Freiman due up.
Athletics 3, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 10:26 PM
- Derek Norris single to center scored Jed Lowrie with two outs. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 10:21 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 10:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22