Loney, Rays even series with OriolesApr 18, 2013 - 3:26 AM
Kelly Johnson and Shelley Duncan each smacked solo homers, while Yunel Escobar added an RBI single to help the Rays snap a four-game skid.
Matt Moore (3-0) struck out seven and limited the O's to two runs on five hits and three walks over 6 2/3 frames to earn the victory.
Adam Jones stroked a two-run homer to account for Baltimore's offense, while starter Chris Tillman (0-1) was charged with four runs allowed on six hits and two walks over five frames for the Orioles, who took the opener of the series, 5-4, on Tuesday.
"It's disappointing," Tillman said of his outing "I think I've got some things to work on right now. I think the biggest thing is getting strike one."
Johnson gave the Rays a jolt in the first, when he crushed a one-out homer into the bleachers in right-center field.
"I think it all starts with Kelly Johnson in the first inning," Duncan said of the Rays' offense coming to life. "You come out there and you do that, it allows everyone to relax a lot. I think that's what really set the tone."
After the O's stranded runners on the corners in the bottom half, Duncan doubled the lead when he launched a slider into the first row in left-center field with one out in the second.
Baltimore finally broke through in third, when Manny Machado reached on a fielder's choice before Jones followed with a two-out drive into left-center field that hit the top of the fence and bounced back into play.
Jones coasted into second with a double, but the umpires got together and reviewed the play, which was eventually ruled a home run that brought the O's even at 2-2.
Tampa Bay quickly answered in the top of the fourth. Evan Longoria launched a leadoff double off the right-field wall before Duncan smacked a one-out single and moved to second on the throw to the plate to put two runners in scoring position.
Loney then scorched a sinking line drive to center that dropped just in front of Jones to score Longoria and Duncan and make it 4-2.
Tampa Bay tacked on an insurance run in the sixth on Escobar's RBI single that plated Loney, who added an RBI single in the eighth to push the lead to 6-2.
Baltimore, meanwhile, failed to move a runner into scoring position after Jones' blast in the third.
Rays manager Joe Maddon was ejected in the top of the fifth inning for arguing a call at second base ... Moore improved to 3-2 lifetime against the O's ... Baltimore went 0-for-1 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base ... The Rays went 4-for-11 with RISP and left seven on base.
- TAMPA BAY: 6
Apr 17 10:10 PM
- James Loney single to left scored Matt Joyce with one out. Runner on first and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 6, Orioles 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 17 9:31 PM
- Yunel Escobar single to right scored James Loney with two outs. On the play, Jose Molina advances to third. Runners on first and third and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 17 8:55 PM
- James Loney double to center scored Evan Longoria and Shelley Duncan with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 4, Orioles 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 17 8:07 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Manny Machado. Matt Wieters due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 7:54 PM
- Shelley Duncan one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. James Loney due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 17 7:26 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 17 7:07 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 7:05 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21