Rays sweep A'sApr 21, 2013 - 11:09 PM
Ryan Roberts had two hits, one RBI and two runs scored, while Sean Rodriguez, James Loney and Kelly Johnson also drove in one apiece for the Rays, who swept a three-game series versus the A's at home for the first time since 2005.
"He's been struggling offensively but it hasn't been effecting the rest of his game," Rays manager Joe Maddon said of Escobar. "That's what he brings to the table every game."
Hernandez (1-3) allowed just three hits and one run while striking out seven.
Josh Reddick singled in Oakland's lone run, and Coco Crisp and Seth Smith provided the other hits for the Athletics, who were coming off their own three-game sweep of Houston prior to the series versus the Rays. Starter Tommy Milone (3-1) gave up six runs -- four earned -- on eight hits over 6 2/3 innings in the setback.
"They did an outstanding job of keeping us off-balance all series," Oakland first baseman Brandon Moss said.
Tampa Bay jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. With one down and runners on second and third, Evan Longoria hit a bloop to right scoring Roberts, while advancing to second on Reddick's fielding error. Shelley Duncan followed with a walk to load the bases, then Milone hit Rodriguez to plate Ben Zobrist.
Johnson rounded out the scoring with a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Longoria. Escobar made it 4-0 in the second with a leadoff shot to left for his first home run of the season.
"I've never felt like this before with any team," Escobar added. "I hope I can be a part of this team for the rest of my career."
Oakland got one run back in the fourth. Reddick poked a single to right-center scoring Smith, who was hit by a pitch to start the frame. That was the only offense the team got, though, as the Rays continued to pile on the offense.
With one out in the seventh, Desmond Jennings hit a single and his hustle on Roberts' double to left paid off for a run scored from first base. Reliever Pat Neshek entered the game later in the inning with two down and his wild pitch scored Roberts to make it 6-1.
The Rays plated two more runs in the eighth.
Longoria has now reached base safely in all 18 games this season ... Hernandez, formally known as Fausto Carmona, last won a start on Sept. 20, 2011, with the Cleveland Indians ... Hernandez is 5-7 in 13 starts versus Oakland in his career ... Oakland went 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base.
- OAKLAND: 1
TAMPA BAY: 8
Apr 21 4:41 PM
- Yunel Escobar single to left scored James Loney with one out. On the play, Sam Fuld advances to second. Runners on first and second and Desmond Jennings due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 8 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 21 4:27 PM
- James Loney double to right scored Shelley Duncan with none out. Runner on second and Sam Fuld due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 21 4:24 PM
- Ryan Roberts scored on a wild pitch with two out. None on and Evan Longoria at the plate.
Athletics 1, Rays 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 21 4:08 PM
- Ryan Roberts double to left center scored Desmond Jennings with one out. Runner on second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 21 4:01 PM
- Josh Reddick single to right center scored Seth Smith with two out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 21 2:53 PM
- Yunel Escobar lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Desmond Jennings due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 21 2:19 PM
- Kelly Johnson sacrifice fly out to center scored Evan Longoria with two out. Runners on first and second and Jose Molina due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 21 2:08 PM
- Sean Rodriguez was hit-by-pitch, Ben Zobrist scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Kelly Johnson due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 21 2:06 PM
- Ryan Roberts scored on Josh Reddick's fielding error with one out. Evan Longoria reached second. On the play, Ben Zobrist reached third. Runners on second and third and Shelley Duncan due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 21 2:03 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 1:42 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22