Colon twirls shutout as A's pound Red SoxApr 24, 2013 - 3:31 AM
Colon (3-0) fanned seven and walked just one over seven stellar innings before rain forced the game to be stopped before the start of the eighth.
"If you're ever going to have someone on the mound on a night like tonight, it's a strike-thrower like Bartolo," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Colon. "He was the right man for the job tonight."
Seth Smith stroked a two-run home run and finished with three RBI, while Coco Crisp, John Jaso, Brandon Moss and Josh Reddick each plated a pair of runs for the A's, who pounded out 13 hits overall as they halted a four-game slide.
Alfredo Aceves (1-1) was tagged for eight runs -- seven earned -- on seven hits and four walks over 3 1/3 frames to absorb the loss, Boston's third in its last four games.
"The weather conditions weren't ideal, but to say that it was a major distraction, I don't know that we can go that far," Boston manager John Farrell said of his starter's poor outing.
Everything came unraveled for Aceves and the Red Sox in the third, as Eric Sogard and Jaso each worked walks around a Crisp single to load the bases with no outs.
Smith then earned a free pass to plate Sogard and after Aceves fanned Jed Lowrie, Moss scorched a single back up the middle to score Crisp and Jaso for a 3-0 lead.
Smith and Moss each advanced a base on Aceves' balk before Smith crossed the plate on Josh Donaldson's sacrifice fly to center.
Reddick followed with a sharp single to first that Mike Napoli made a diving stop on, but Aceves was late getting to the bag, allowing Moss to score as Aceves' throw to the plate sailed wide.
Reddick moved to second on the wild throw and found third on another Aceves' balk before scoring when Boston third baseman Will Middlebrooks' throw to first on a Chris Young grounder was off the mark.
The A's added to their lead in the fourth, as Jaso stroked a one-out double and Smith followed with a homer to right-center field for an 8-0 lead.
Aceves then served up a single to Lowrie before being removed in favor of Steven Wright, who induced a double-play groundout from Moss to end the frame.
Wright allowed a leadoff single to Donaldson in the fifth before Young and Sogard worked back-to-back one-out walks to load the bases for Crisp, who slapped a two-run double to left to push Oakland's lead to 10-0.
Jaso followed with a two-run single to right to make it 12-0 before Reddick added an RBI double in the sixth to account for the final margin.
Wright made his major league debut and allowed five runs on six hits and four walks while striking out four over 3 2/3 frames. He was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket following the game ... Oakland has taken nine of the last 10 meetings against Boston ... The A's went 6-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base ... Boston finished 0-for-3 with RISP and stranded four baserunners ... It was Colon's 33rd complete game and 10th career shutout.
- OAKLAND: 13
Apr 23 9:57 PM
- Josh Reddick doubled to center scoring Brandon Moss. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 13, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 23 8:37 PM
- John Jaso singled to right scoring Eric Sogard and Coco Crisp. Runner on first with one out and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 12, Red Sox 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 23 8:13 PM
- Coco Crisp doubled to left scored Josh Donaldson and Chris Young. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and John Jaso due up.
Athletics 10, Red Sox 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 23 8:12 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right center scored John Jaso. Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 8, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 23 7:48 PM
- Chris Young reached first on Will Middlebrooks' throwing error scoring Josh Reddick. Runner on first with two outs and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 6, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 23 7:32 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to first scoring Brandon Moss. On the play, Reddick advances to second on Alfredo Aceves' throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 5, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 23 7:29 PM
- Josh Donaldson sacrifice fly out to center scoring Seth Smith. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 23 7:27 PM
- Brandon Moss singled to center scoring Coco Crisp and John Jaso. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 23 7:25 PM
- Seth Smith walk scored Eric Sogard. Bases loaded with none out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 23 7:22 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 6:36 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21