Jays edge Orioles in extras, avoid three-game sweepApr 24, 2013 - 8:57 PM
Maicer Izturis walked with the bases loaded in the top of the 11th inning, as the Blue Jays avoided a three-game sweep with a 6-5 win over the Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards.
Baltimore closer Jim Johnson (1-2) retired the first two batters in the 11th before giving up consecutive singles to J.P. Arencibia and Munenori Kawasaki and hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch.
Johnson then tossed four straight pitches to Izturis that were out of the strike zone.
Casey Janssen recorded two strikeouts while securing his sixth save of the season in the bottom of the frame.
The Blue Jays took a 5-2 lead into the seventh, only to see Baltimore rally with a three-spot.
Nolan Reimold drew a one-out walk and scored on a double by Ryan Flaherty, the third hit off Toronto starter Brandon Morrow and first since Adam Jones doubled home Nate McLouth in the first inning. McLouth had led off with a two- bagger of his own.
Flaherty's hit ended Morrow's outing, as he was replaced by Aaron Loup. McLouth brought home Flaherty with a two-out single and Manny Machado tied the game with a triple to the gap in right-center.
The O's had a couple of chances to win the game in walk-off fashion. After stranding a runner on third base in the ninth, Machado was thrown out at the plate by left fielder Rajai Davis while trying to score on J.J. Hardy's single off Esmil Rogers (1-1).
Baltimore recalled Josh Stinson from Class-A Frederick to make his second major league start. The right-hander gave up only five hits in 5 2/3 innings. However, four of them were driven over the outfield wall.
With the Blue Jays down 1-0, Arencibia launched a two-run homer in the second and Davis added a solo shot in the third.
The Orioles trimmed their deficit to 3-2 without a hit in the bottom of the third. After McLouth drew a one-out walk, Lawrie fielded a ball hit by Machado, but his poor throw placed men on the corners. McLouth then scored when Nick Markakis grounded into a fielder's choice.
Edwin Encarnacion led off the fourth with a blast to left and Jose Bautista matched him to open the sixth.
Toronto manager John Gibbons was ejected by home plate umpire Mike DiMuro after Lawrie was called out on strikes to end the top of the ninth inning ... Stinson was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk after the game ... The Orioles were 4-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
- TORONTO: 6
Apr 24 4:01 PM
- Maicer Izturis walk scored J.P. Arencibia. Bases loaded with two outs and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 5 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 24 3:50 PM
- Manny Machado tripled to right center scoring Nate McLouth. Runner on third with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 24 2:37 PM
- Nate McLouth singled to center scoring Ryan Flaherty. Runner on first with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 24 2:33 PM
- Ryan Flaherty doubled to right center scoring Nolan Reimold. Runner on second with one out and Taylor Teagarden due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 3 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 24 2:28 PM
- Jose Bautista lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 2 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 24 1:57 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Melky Cabrera due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 24 1:30 PM
- Nick Markakis grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Nate McLouth. Manny Machado out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 24 1:24 PM
- Rajai Davis one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 24 1:13 PM
- J.P. Arencibia one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to center scored Melky Cabrera. Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 1 Top 2, 1 OutApr 24 1:01 PM
- Adam Jones doubled to right scoring Nate McLouth. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Blue Jays 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 24 12:51 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 12:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22